Paul C. Buff, Inc. Technical Forum

Technical Discussion Forum for all Paul C. Buff, Inc. Products

Login

Post a reply
 [ 3 posts ] 

Wed Apr 21, 2010 1:20 pm

Hey all, I was shooting with one of my B800's yesterday and after about 3 hours when the strobe would flash there would be a loud beep almost like a smoke detector (this would happen about once every 3-6 flashes).
I was on location in an older bed and breakfast and not sure if it was maybe something to do with the power outlet, as I've never had this happen before.
I've checked the manual, online and the forum and couldn't find anything relating, maybe I'm blind but no less not finding an answer.

Rob

Top Top

#

Wed Apr 21, 2010 4:11 pm

Site Admin

Alien Bee lights do not have any sort of audible indicator. What were you plugged into? A wall outlet? Power strip? Other?

Do you know what may have been on the same circuit? A computer UPS (uninteruptable power supply) may chirp during recycle if on the same circuit. It senses the draw (combined with a powered up computer) and chirps thinking there may be a brown out like issue.

Top Top

#

Wed Apr 21, 2010 4:29 pm

You've answered my question so there is no audible indicator at all on the b800, I was plugged directly into a power outlet and there is no UPS or power bar in the simple bed and breakfast suite old wiring most very likely.
I couldn't see a smoke detector but i'm thinking maybe that was the sound i was hearing and it was on the same circuit.
Thanks for the heads up I wasn't sure if there was a audible indicator on the b800 for error issues...

Rob

Top Top

Post a reply
 [ 3 posts ]