Paul C. Buff, Inc. Technical Forum

Technical Discussion Forum for all Paul C. Buff, Inc. Products

Login

Post a reply
 [ 11 posts ] 

Fri Feb 26, 2016 9:34 pm

I have something interesting to report. I just picked up a Fotodiox Pro Octagon 70", which is the same brand that Robert reports using - including the speedring and adapter because it comes as part of the kit.

I am very pleased with the quality of the softbox itself - as well made as my Visicos which no longer seem to be available. But . . . .

. . . the adapter ring - in my maybe not-so-humble opinion - does not match the quality of the octa. I don't care too much since as I mentioned above I was invested in Bowens Quickrings before I switched to Einsteins, and bought SP Studio adapter rings after I switched. They have never failed me.

So . . . . . I took the adapter ring that came with the octa and put firm pressure on the rim that would be held by the Einstein. Without it even possibly being heated up and softened by a modeling light (as I theorized above), I bent it. Yes, I BENT it. With thumb pressure.

Obviously I don't have any way to measure the force I put on it, but it felt in range of the force (or torque depending on the position of the light) that a 70" octa with heavy duty rods, inner and outer diffuser would put on the rim of the adapter ring. As a comparison, I put the same or more pressure on my SP rings, and I could not bend them.

Put another way: if I was not already invested in Bowens Quickrings and cared and needed the adapter ring that came with it, I would very displeased. It is not a pro-grade adapter ring, and not suitable for the weight of the modifier relative to the Balcar mount.

I actually know someone very well at Fotodiox and the company is not far away from me. I've been invited there recently for a tour, and will see if the opportunity to talk about their rings comes up.

Bottom line: I now think it is even more probable that Robert's adapter ring is the weakest link in the chain. Since I could bend it with thumb pressure, though, I really don't want to test further by actually mounting it.

Top Top

Website

Post a reply
 [ 11 posts ]