Paul C. Buff, Inc. Technical Forum

Technical Discussion Forum for all Paul C. Buff, Inc. Products

Login

Post a reply
 [ 4 posts ] 

Mon May 09, 2016 7:03 pm

I'm starting to shoot more "on-location" shots. Rather than invest in Canon strobes, I was thinking of getting a power pack for my Einsteins. (I have 3 Einsteins - but usually only use 2 on location.)

What are the pros and cons of the Vagabond Extreme vs the Mini? The Mini seems appealing due to the smaller size and price - but I don't want to buy the Mini and wish I had gone for the Extreme.

Thanks for the help.

Top Top

#

Mon May 09, 2016 9:06 pm

My own preference now is a Mini clamped on each flash stand. Makes it easier to move as a unit, no power cord off one unit to another strobe to trip over, and I can leave one off if I am only using one strobe and the other as a backup or fill strobe as needed.

If I only could own one pack to two heads, then the Extreme and dealing with a 25 foot power cord to the remote head. But I really prefer two separate systems, hence the Mini, on their own stands with a much shorter coiled power cord like the one in the link below.

http://www.allelectronics.com/make-a-store/item/lcac-427/3-iec-coil-cord/1.html

Mack

Top Top

#

Tue May 10, 2016 9:10 am

Site Admin

Mack makes very good points in favor of VML.

The advantages of VLX are an over all longer life expectancy of the battery (close to 10 years vs 3 or so years for VML). VLX can recycle two full power E640s faster than two VMLs with one full power E640 on each.

Top Top

#

Tue May 10, 2016 10:01 am

Thanks Mack and TS

Top Top

Post a reply
 [ 4 posts ]