Paul C. Buff, Inc. Technical Forum

Technical Discussion Forum for all Paul C. Buff, Inc. Products

Login

Post a reply
 [ 6 posts ] 

Tue May 10, 2016 10:39 am

Greetings. As I see the traditional type of umbrella is becoming obsolete? The parabolic design is preferred. Is this correct?

Top Top

Website

#

Tue May 10, 2016 11:04 am

Site Admin

The parabolic type umbrellas, both ours and the copies, are popular. Some like them because they more round than an eight or six rib umbrella. Some like them because they can come in lager sizes than a typical umbrella. Others like the fact they can be configured in more ways than most umbrellas.
Also, there is the efficiency increase with the focused silver parabolics over the randomly shaped standard umbrella.

Top Top

#

Tue May 10, 2016 2:37 pm

Great. Thank you. You state that yours and copies. Did you all invent the parabolic style? I've not used them so just learning now.

And when do you expect to have the white ones?

Top Top

Website

#

Wed May 11, 2016 9:07 am

Site Admin

There have been parabolic reflectors in some form for some time. However, the affordable 16 rib style of parabolic umbrella that is fairly ubiquitous these days was designed, tested and refined by Paul, even down to the sliders and hinge hardware and use of fiberglass rods. They are essentially clones of the first version PLM, and are difficult to distinguish. In fact, there was one outlet who sold theirs with the name "BUFF" engraved in the slider, the same as ours. We have since refined the design, and the immediate feature to distinguish is a shorter umbrella shaft or a speedring assembly.

We currently expect to start shipping at the end of June, however, we do ship back orders in the order in which they were placed, so it may be a little later before we are back to regular shipping. This time frame also cannot predict any unforeseen issues, so that is why we say "expect".

Top Top

#

Wed May 11, 2016 10:47 am

Thank you for the information. I see you all recommend the softer silver umbrella over the white one if someone were considering just one purchase. Is that because the diffuser in front offers a similar light. I suppose then a shoot through is not an option, but perhaps a silver with a diffuser is a similar light.

I mostly plan to use it outside to aid with lifestyle shots and or an occasional Photo Booth set up.

Top Top

Website

#

Wed May 11, 2016 3:43 pm

Site Admin

My personal preference is soft silver with the option to use the sock. Others will have different opinions. I find it is hard at best to distinguish a white from a soft silver with a white fabric.

Top Top

Post a reply
 [ 6 posts ]