Paul C. Buff, Inc. Technical Forum

Technical Discussion Forum for all Paul C. Buff, Inc. Products

Login

Post a reply
 [ 5 posts ] 

Thu Jun 02, 2016 6:37 am

My Einsteins are over 150K 'clicks' and are 2 years old
is this average? alot?

Is there a estimated/average "flash count" that i can expect the flashes to start to wear ?

Yitzy

Top Top

#

Thu Jun 02, 2016 11:04 am

Site Admin

The only real "wear" items will be the flash tube and model lamp. Flash tubes have a typical life expectancy of 100,000 full power flashes. Sometimes more, sometimes less. As flash power is reduced, the life expectancy increases significantly. Assuming there is no trauma to the tube, a tube that is starting to wear will show signs of crazing (hazy, crackled, foggy appearance) on the inner diameter. Flash output and color temperature may shift some vs. brand new, but not dramatically.

Model lamps are pretty much go or no go.

We have flash units in the field that are 30 years old, and only the bulbs have been replaced. The flash capacitors generally last a long time, but when they fail, there is no precursor, nor is there any maintenance that can be done.

I would recommend having no less than one spare flash tube on hand. If you cannot live without a flash, I would recommend a spare flash unit on hand as well. The same goes for cameras and lenses and memory cards, etc.

Top Top

#

Thu Jun 02, 2016 12:36 pm

Ok Thanks!

So basicly only the flash tubes are at risk

I have 9 Einstein's, only use 8 regularly.
Plus 2 spare flash tubes.

And obviously i have spare of everything critical for shooting the weddings.

Some of the mounting blocks holding my Einstein's wearing off - hard to tighten and not holding heavy softboxes,
will this part fix it? dose it come with all the screws and washers connected to it?
AEMBA

Yitzy

Top Top

#

Mon Jun 06, 2016 1:01 pm

Site Admin

This is just the mounting block which is intended to use the old hardware. If you need the bolt, ratchet handle, washers, etc, you will need the SMHA (stand mount hardware assembly). This is not on the website, and is $5.95. You can call us and place the order for this item.

Top Top

#

Thu Jun 16, 2016 2:36 pm

Here is an interesting thread about keeping the lights maintained. http://www.paulcbuff-techforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=208&p=1062&hilit=capacitor+reforming#p1062

RMS

Top Top

Post a reply
 [ 5 posts ]