Paul C. Buff, Inc. Technical Forum

Technical Discussion Forum for all Paul C. Buff, Inc. Products

Login

Post a reply
 [ 2 posts ] 

Sat Jan 21, 2017 5:35 pm

I have a Canon 80D DSLR. I am using an Einstein Flash and the CyberSync Transmitter II. The first time I hooked everything up it worked great but I did get some slight ghost images. So I tried changing the sync speed and now could not get the Einstein to fire no matter what I did, it would fire if I pressed the button on the CyberSync Transmitter. Finally, I set the shutter speed to 1/250 of a second and my camera finally triggered the Einstein. Is this what I always need to set my camera to get it to fire the strobe? I really don't know why it worked and I am afraid to set it to anything else for fear it won't work or trigger my flash again. Can anyone help with why this is happening or what I need to do to be sure I am adjusting or setting things correctly?

Top Top

#

Mon Jan 23, 2017 10:32 am

Site Admin

The only camera brand I know that locks out the hotshoe when Sync Speed is exceeded is Pentax, though I have not specifically tested the 80D. I would suggest going back and forth between 1/250 and 1/320 to see if you can repeat the issues. However, 1/250 is as high as you would want to trigger the flash, as anything above would yeild a black bar.

Also, Canons are not freindly to manual flash by default when in Live View. You would need to disable any silent shoot modes to allow manual flash triggering in live view mode. I would suggest all testing to include use with live view off as a control (i.e., if it is not working and in live view, turn live view off and see if it works).

Top Top

Post a reply
 [ 2 posts ]