Paul C. Buff, Inc. Technical Forum

Technical Discussion Forum for all Paul C. Buff, Inc. Products

Login

Post a reply
 [ 4 posts ] 

Wed Aug 17, 2016 1:23 pm

Hello Everyone,

I am back again with another issue. During one of my recent studio shoots, I kept having problems with my fill light (AB 800). When it fired, it overexposed my subject on that side. I slid the power level down as far as it could go on the Cyber Commander but still ended up with what appeared to be full power flash output. My main light (Einstein) was fine.

If the light doesn't seem to be responding to the cyber commander should I just dial the power setting down on the back of the light itself? It gets very frustrating to have this happen during a shoot.

I can't seem to get a photo to link here correctly, but here is an example from the shoot:
https://goo.gl/photos/rtTYevVmBSSNoSweA

Top Top

#

Wed Aug 17, 2016 2:02 pm

Site Admin

Ok, a few things to check. Do you have the AB800 specified in the Cyber Commander on the appropriate channel and frequency? Can you post a photo (or multiple photos) showing the CSR+ dials, the CC main flash screen, and the Einstein screen?

If you increase and decrease power on the AB800, can you see the red dump light come on and/or the green ready light go off?

Also, you are using the square telephone cord (the included one, not a substitute) from the light to receiver in the jacks marked "remote"?

Top Top

#

Wed Aug 17, 2016 3:28 pm

Let be go back and check all this out. I will report back.

Thank you!

Technical Support wrote:
Ok, a few things to check. Do you have the AB800 specified in the Cyber Commander on the appropriate channel and frequency? Can you post a photo (or multiple photos) showing the CSR+ dials, the CC main flash screen, and the Einstein screen?

If you increase and decrease power on the AB800, can you see the red dump light come on and/or the green ready light go off?

Also, you are using the square telephone cord (the included one, not a substitute) from the light to receiver in the jacks marked "remote"?

Top Top

#

Wed Aug 17, 2016 6:26 pm

So I went back to check my set up and test my lights. The first thing I noticed was that when I attempted to test my main light only, the fill light also flashed. I then found the cord to put in the sync slot and that light stopped triggering with the main.

I double-checked my light frequency and assured that each light was on a separate channel. When I went from metering my main light to my fill light the number didn't change. Then I remembered to refresh that channel. Before refreshing my reading was 5.6 (same as main) but after refreshing it went to 8.0. Thus I might not have refreshed the setting when I went to meter for the fill light in my session.

The light raised and lowered power via the Cyber Commander without difficulty this time.

Moral for me: Keep the sync slot filled and remember to refresh when metering.

Thanks for your help.

Top Top

Post a reply
 [ 4 posts ]