Paul C. Buff, Inc. Technical Forum

Technical Discussion Forum for all Paul C. Buff, Inc. Products

Login

Post a reply
 [ 6 posts ] 

Thu Sep 22, 2016 7:29 pm

Hello,
I have been using my Cyber Commander with some alien bees and 1 Einstein. All of them have the receivers that give you the ability to control their power from the CC.

The thing is that my CC has been resetting by itself. It happened quite a few times the first time I used it. Changed the batteries and worked for about... two weeks.
Today, it happened again. Mind that I have not used all my lights since then. I've Been using just the Einstein a couple times a week.

Anyways, today the CC rested itself twice while I was using the Einstein. So what happens is that the flash fires itself like 7 times or so, and it does very quickly - short and low powered burst. And then my CC screen goes black and a message appears saying "Cyber Commander Ver 50." or something like that.
Shutter speed and ISO reset to their default values.

I don't think its my flash, since I turned it off and disconnected it from the power supply; still, the CC reseted by itself while it was in my hand.

What could be causing this issue? I have a photoshoot tomorrow and I don't want this thing failing on my in front of my clients...
New batteries?
really? I havent used it that much, and I don't see any "batteries low" message or anything.

please help!

Top Top

#

Mon Sep 26, 2016 8:59 am

Site Admin

First, make sure the batteries are making good contact with the battery contacts. If the batteries are loose, gently pry the contacts in for better contact.

Also, try removing the SD card from the Cyber Commander. If this corrects the problem, you cna try reformatting the card and using it again.

Top Top

#

Sat Oct 08, 2016 4:30 pm

"
Also, try removing the SD card from the Cyber Commander. If this corrects the problem, you cna try reformatting the card and using it again."

Do you mean Bootload?
Also, I have managed to video tape the issue.
On this video, we can see how the cyber commander resets and messes the lights. This is extremely annoying.
I am very disappointing since I had a shoot yesterday at an event with 100 people more and they all complained and I felt like absolute rubbish in front of 100 people.
Extremely dissatisfied.
Here is a link to the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Q66oYUiaIw

Flahs on the back is an Eisntein, the one on the foreground is a B800 (turned off, but it failed when it was turned on as well.)

Turned off the power supply (and flashes of course) and havent seen the CC resetting....yet...

Top Top

#

Sat Oct 08, 2016 4:44 pm

Disconnected Einstein and connected B800. CC resets, every 5 seconds or so. Only this time, the B800 flashes only once, instead of a dozen times in 2 seconds...
_____
excellent, now when I try to re sync the B800 it wont let me adjust its power. It only shows there is a light; I can trigger it, but I can't adjust its power....

Top Top

#

Mon Oct 10, 2016 9:08 am

Site Admin

Nacho wrote:
Do you mean Bootload?

No. Remove the microSD card from the Cyber Commander, and use as normal, and see if the issue persists. If the issue does not persist, then there is an issue with the SD card. If the issue does persist, then the issue is with the unit or the batteries making poor contact (they do not appear to be low).

If removing the microSD card or ensureing the batteries are snug does not fix the issue, you should contact us promptly for warranty status and service.

Top Top

#

Thu Dec 15, 2016 12:57 pm

I just set up my new Einstein and Digibee 400 and having the exact same problem. Hopefully, what you suggested solves it.

Top Top

Post a reply
 [ 6 posts ]