Paul C. Buff, Inc. Technical Forum

Technical Discussion Forum for all Paul C. Buff, Inc. Products

Login

Post a reply
 [ 3 posts ] 

Tue Nov 01, 2016 4:12 pm

I am totally new to using strobes, but I have treated myself to an Einstein E640 and tested it out at my local Hockey Arena. I set my camera to 1/200 F5 ISO 400, on the strobe I set the power to 1/4. What I noticed was the slight blur on my photos. Should I lower the power? or change a setting on my camera?

Top Top

#

Tue Nov 01, 2016 4:22 pm

Site Admin

Take a photo in the same circumstances and settings, but without the flash firing.

If you can see an image, then you have ambient light contributing to your exposure, and this is the likely source of blur. Closing your aperture and/or lowering ISO will kill the ambient. It will also reduce the flash exposure on your image. This will need to be corrected by more efficient modifiers or by adding more lights, or increasing your flash power (which reduces action stopping power).

If you cannot see an image wihtout the flash, then try setting your flash to ACTION mode, and/or reduce the flash power (and increase ISO/ open your aperture). Either of these will reduce the flash duration, increasing the ability to stop action.

Top Top

#

Tue Nov 01, 2016 4:33 pm

Thank you.

Top Top

Post a reply
 [ 3 posts ]