Paul C. Buff, Inc. Technical Forum

Technical Discussion Forum for all Paul C. Buff, Inc. Products

Login

Post a reply
 [ 2 posts ] 

Sun Nov 06, 2016 5:06 pm

I have four Einsteins that I use in-studio and travel with for remote jobs. I use the Cybersync matched receivers in the Einsteins and set the Channel to 1 and the Frequency to 5 on all units.

In my studio I did a Senior Portrait shoot two weeks ago and 305 straight shots with out a misfire. I traveled to San Diego and set up to do headshots in one of the cavernous ballrooms. Lights failed miserably. On average the lights fired once for each 6-7 presses of the test button on the camera-mounted Cybersync trigger. (They fired every time on the Einstein test button). No matter what I did with changing to a different frequency the lights would only fire 1/6 times or so.

Returned to Minneapolis and hooked up all four lights in the studio. Took each of my 3 camera mounted triggers and fired 25 button presses. Flawless 75/75 fires and all four lights fired every time.

I have another convention gig to do in December and am looking for things to try to mitigate this issue.
Ultimately, I fell back to hard cabling with a sync cable to get through the job.

Any ideas? Interference in the SD Conv Ballrooms? Something else?

Top Top

#

Mon Nov 07, 2016 4:38 pm

Site Admin

It is possible the system, specifically the frequency you were on, was swampped by some outside source.

You can try differnt frequencies to try to dial out of the issue. There is a school of thought that says our Fq 13 is a good place to start, as it lies in a dead zone of factory default WiFi channels. However, this far from a hard and fast rule.

Top Top

Post a reply
 [ 2 posts ]