Paul C. Buff, Inc. Technical Forum

Technical Discussion Forum for all Paul C. Buff, Inc. Products

Login

Post a reply
 [ 5 posts ] 

Mon Nov 14, 2016 11:06 am

So far I like a lot the Cyber Commander, but when I use the light meter won't allow me to switch, on the ISO or speed, from full steps to half or thirds. You you have a new firmware or any way I can change that?

Thanks

Top Top

#

Tue Nov 15, 2016 10:05 am

Site Admin

The Cyber Commander can only be set to full stop increments in ISO and Shutter Speed.

In a studio environment, a 1/3 stop increment in shutter speed will not make a difference, though it can make a small difference in high ambient light.

While ISO is only available in full stop increments, you can fake smaller increments by dialing in a positive or negative CAL in the same window. A negative .3 calibration would mimic a 1/3 stop higher ISO. So, to mimic ISO 125, set the ISO to 100 then the CAL to -0.3f. For 160, set the CAL to -0.7f.

Top Top

#

Tue Nov 15, 2016 11:12 am

Thanks.

That's does not work for me. I use the equipment 75% of the time outside. I need to be in small increments to deal with the ambient light. That's a setback for me. I'm been using a Seconic light meter for those cases, but I don't want to travel with two light meters.

Top Top

#

Sun Feb 26, 2017 9:02 am

I am in the same boat as the original poster. I would love to see an update for the CC allowing convenient metering at 1/3 stop increments since at least half of my strobe use is outdoors or in otherwise uncontrolled ambient lighting conditions. The workaround would be ok in consistent conditions, but would get annoying to keep track of during changing lighting conditions such as during a sunset outdoor shoot as settings need to be adjusted.

Alternatively, is there a convenient way (other than the PC sync cord between the 3rd party meter and the specific light) to use a third party meter to trigger individual lights during metering?

Could I use the CC to adjust light power as normal but for metering purposes, trigger the individual light/channel to fire by connecting the CC to a PC cord attached to the third party meter?

Top Top

#

Mon Feb 27, 2017 1:01 pm

Site Admin

Tim_S_Photography wrote:
Alternatively, is there a convenient way (other than the PC sync cord between the 3rd party meter and the specific light) to use a third party meter to trigger individual lights during metering?

Could I use the CC to adjust light power as normal but for metering purposes, trigger the individual light/channel to fire by connecting the CC to a PC cord attached to the third party meter?

Unless you are setting each light up in its own group, then triggering via PC cord will fire all lights at once. I would use the meter in cordless (which is different than "wireless") mode. Press the meter button, and the meter will wait for a flash. You can select any channel and fire via joysticks to individually fire each light independently.

Top Top

Post a reply
 [ 5 posts ]