Paul C. Buff, Inc. Technical Forum

Technical Discussion Forum for all Paul C. Buff, Inc. Products

Login

Post a reply
 [ 7 posts ] 

Thu Dec 08, 2016 7:55 pm

I have just bought 2 Einstein E640`s with the 11" long throws and the cyber commander with tranceivers. I am looking forward to shooting our hocky game this weekend and would like some instruction on the setup. The strobes will be about 40 feet high above the ice, my camera`s sync speed will be 1/200 or 1/250th. So should i set the strobes at full power or set them at a lower power and increase the ISO?

Top Top

#

Fri Dec 09, 2016 9:53 am

Site Admin

Likely, you will want to decrease power, and increase ISO. Of course, this will be a balancing act.

The lower the flash power, the faster the light can recycle, and teh lower the power, the faster the flash durations, which will better freeze action.

But, as we all know, higher ISO's yeild more noise, though it is getting better. Also, lower flash powers and higher ISO's will more easily yield ambient influence on exposure. Depending on the light source, the can cause a color shift or exposure shift or both, and inconsistencies among them. Ambient contributions can also lead to ghosting, despite fast flash durations.

Ultimately, no one can say what the exact settings need to be without actually being there to consider all the variables.

Top Top

#

Fri Dec 09, 2016 11:27 am

I guess i could take a reading of the ambient light. How about using Yongnuo triggers, would i be able to achieve High Speed Sync with these?

I am just thinking that if i lower the power, at 40 feet away even with the 11" long throw reflectors, that the light will not reach down to ice level.

Top Top

#

Fri Dec 09, 2016 12:25 pm

Site Admin

First, HSS will eat as much light as aperture, also, it would only work at full power with Einstein, if at all.

At 1/4 power at 40', and ISO 100, you are looking at about f/5. So, ISO 400 you are at about f/10 at 1/4 power, or 1/16 power on the flashes at f/5.

I would first decide what max ISO you are comfortable with, as well as what aperture. Then you can see what your flash power would need to be.

Here is our expected output chart for your reference: http://www.paulcbuff.com/output.php

Top Top

#

Fri Dec 09, 2016 12:28 pm

Awesome, thank you

Top Top

#

Tue Jan 03, 2017 4:34 pm

Well, I tried again and I am still seeing some motion blur :(

I have tried the setting you have suggested and I`m still getting slightly blurred photos, so I need to mess around with my settings to nail this. I was thinking of setting a higher ISO, I use the D750, so that's one thought, up the ISO to say 640-800 and lower the power on the strobes? I am getting enough light down at ice level, just cant seem to get rid of the motion blur.

Top Top

#

Wed Jan 04, 2017 5:12 pm

Site Admin

fotoshotz wrote:
I was thinking of setting a higher ISO, I use the D750, so that's one thought, up the ISO to say 640-800 and lower the power on the strobes?

This is where I would start. But also, take a photo with the same settings, but without firing the lights and see if you can see an image. If so, your blur may be ambient blur.

Top Top

Post a reply
 [ 7 posts ]