Paul C. Buff, Inc. Technical Forum

Technical Discussion Forum for all Paul C. Buff, Inc. Products

Login

Post a reply
 [ 4 posts ] 

Fri Dec 09, 2016 10:13 pm

Hi,

I purchased my Vagabond Mini and B800 in 2011 or 2012. It has gotten a fair amount of use, but not a ton. Last night, I was using the unit with the mini and had the modeling light on. I noticed after a break that the light was off, so I flipped it on and off again and it flickered and went back out. I replaced the modeling lamp (which was very hot) and the same thing happened with the new light (which also got very hot fast). It seemed like the battery was completely drained, which was weird because it usually lasts a long time and was recently charged. I plugged that into the wall and the same thing happened again. I had to just stop using the unit for the night.

Just now, I plugged the B800 directly into the wall and it tested fine. I now have the battery charging. Any idea which part has gone bad and how to fix it?

Hayley

Top Top

#

Sun Dec 11, 2016 10:17 am

Site Admin

The Model lamp will drain the battery ratehr quickly. At full power, the battery would last, maybe, and hour.

Actually, at full power, an AlienBee model lamp is 150W and the VM120 inverter is 120W. By running the model lamp at full power, the inverter will overheat and shut down.

Either case is likely, and I expect to be temporary, oncce the battery is charged and inverter is allowed to cool.

Also, we do not recommend running model lamps when on the Vagabond.

Top Top

#

Mon Dec 12, 2016 12:25 pm

This is good news! Thank you.

I was using the flash on the lowest setting (1/32) but had the modeling lamp on for focus the whole time. So, next time I use the modeling lamp I should plug the B800 directly into the wall, correct?

Top Top

#

Tue Dec 13, 2016 12:26 pm

Site Admin

I would suggest using the wall whenever possible, as it will recycle the light faster (though 1/32 should reycle plenty fast either way). You may also want to consider an LED bulb to replace teh model lamp. It will not be as bright, but it will also not draw anywhere near the power of an incandescent of the same power. If possible, get a dimmable LED model lamp.

Top Top

Post a reply
 [ 4 posts ]