Paul C. Buff, Inc. Technical Forum

Technical Discussion Forum for all Paul C. Buff, Inc. Products

Login

Post a reply
 [ 5 posts ] 

Sat Dec 31, 2016 2:52 pm

I shoot Barrel Racing and I need to know how to fire my three Alienbee 1600s at different times like at each barrel from one camera. Would the Cyber Commander do this?
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks
Jack

Top Top

#

Sun Jan 01, 2017 12:56 pm

I don't think you can do it as that requires an auto-sequencer and the CC doesn't have one, and I don't think anyone else does either. You could do it manually by toggling through the groups or channels for each flash, but that would be much slower to do than the speed of the horse hitting each barrel. Plus the CC is pretty toggle and menu intensive to do it quickly, imho.

With the smaller CyberSync 2 you might be able to change the frequency much faster than the CC with the small knob on it. Each barrel's flash would be at a different frequency and need to be permanently set for its output as you have no control there as with the CC. Need to be fast and accurate on the knob though.

Personally, I'd just let the strobes fire in unison as they likely will cycle quick enough between the barrels. I know I'd miss a shot by not setting the flash on the right frequency as the detents are small as is the knob.

Good luck.

Top Top

#

Mon Jan 02, 2017 10:53 am

Thanks , That is what i will do..
Jack

Mack wrote:
I don't think you can do it as that requires an auto-sequencer and the CC doesn't have one, and I don't think anyone else does either. You could do it manually by toggling through the groups or channels for each flash, but that would be much slower to do than the speed of the horse hitting each barrel. Plus the CC is pretty toggle and menu intensive to do it quickly, imho.

With the smaller CyberSync 2 you might be able to change the frequency much faster than the CC with the small knob on it. Each barrel's flash would be at a different frequency and need to be permanently set for its output as you have no control there as with the CC. Need to be fast and accurate on the knob though.

Personally, I'd just let the strobes fire in unison as they likely will cycle quick enough between the barrels. I know I'd miss a shot by not setting the flash on the right frequency as the detents are small as is the knob.

Good luck.

Top Top

#

Tue Jan 03, 2017 11:01 am

Site Admin

Ultimately, I would agree to let them all fire in unison, especially if they are not at full power.

The only auto sequencer I know of is the now-discontinued PocketWizard MultiMax. But, if using a sequencer, if you are off by a shot, it may be difficult to resync.

For CyberCommander, it is possible to set it up that only requires one click to switch from one group to another during shooting. It will take some set up and will require the unit to remain on (and therefore drain the batteries faster).

Top Top

#

Tue Jan 03, 2017 7:11 pm

Thanks I have decided to let them fire in unison since they are not on full power.
Jack

Technical Support wrote:
Ultimately, I would agree to let them all fire in unison, especially if they are not at full power.

The only auto sequencer I know of is the now-discontinued PocketWizard MultiMax. But, if using a sequencer, if you are off by a shot, it may be difficult to resync.

For CyberCommander, it is possible to set it up that only requires one click to switch from one group to another during shooting. It will take some set up and will require the unit to remain on (and therefore drain the batteries faster).

Top Top

Post a reply
 [ 5 posts ]