Paul C. Buff, Inc. Technical Forum

Technical Discussion Forum for all Paul C. Buff, Inc. Products

Login

Post a reply
 [ 4 posts ] 

Tue Jan 10, 2017 4:49 pm

I tried charging up my depleted VML, but I don't seem to be able to get it working. Some diagnostics:

1) When I connect the charger to the battery directly, i get a green light on the charger.

2) When I connect the charger to the inverter (turned off) i get no lights on the inverter and a green light on the charger.

3) When I connect the charger to the inverter (turned on), I get a green light on the inverter and three green lights on the charge bar (these light up incrementally, then stay fully illuminated). The charger LED is red and flickering softly.

4) With the charger disconnected, I get nothing when the unit is turned on - no lights on the charge bar or inverter, and no power through to the flash units.

Would be keen on TS's interpretation of this troubleshoot. Admittedly the unit is well out of warranty, but being in Australia and fully kitted up with Einstein's, i'd like to fix the problem ASAP.

Thanks in advance
JP

Top Top

#

Tue Jan 10, 2017 6:01 pm

Site Admin

Trouble shooting is pretty solid. If you can meter the red/black connectors, you can see if you are getting any power from them, also inspect them to ensure the actual metal tabs are even.

However, if the battery is more than 3-4 years old, it is entirely possible it has reached the end of its service life.

Please contact customer service for information on replacing the battery.

Top Top

#

Wed Jan 11, 2017 2:42 am

Thanks TS. All metal tabs are fine. The metering results were as follows:

16.8V from the charger
16.8V from the inverter to battery when charging
6.9V from the battery.

Result - dead battery?

JP

Top Top

#

Wed Jan 11, 2017 5:37 pm

Site Admin

A VML battery below 11V is considered a dead battery. I would recommend againsty trying to charge it, and instead take it to a lithium battery recycler.

Again, please contact customer service to see what options are available for getting a replacement.

Top Top

Post a reply
 [ 4 posts ]