Paul C. Buff, Inc. Technical Forum

Technical Discussion Forum for all Paul C. Buff, Inc. Products

Login

Post a reply
 [ 7 posts ] 

Thu Jan 12, 2017 7:33 pm

I'm pretty sure I need to replace or service my CyberCommander, but I wanted to check just in case there's something I'm missing.

I'm using the Cyber Commander with three CSR+ receivers, two AB800s and one AB400.

I can fire the strobes with the Cyber Commander, but I can't adjust their output. No matter what I do the AlienBees fire at full power.
I've replaced the batteries with new ones.
I've tried with three different AlienBees.
The CC and receivers are set to the same frequency.
I've tried with different phone cords.
The strobes are set to full power.
I've checked to make sure the CC is set to the right channel.
There's a sync cord plugged into the strobe (but nothing else).
I've tried both with and without the MicroSD card.

Is there anything I'm missing? If it needs service, is it worth it or should I just buy a new one? It's 3-1/2 years old and has a broken battery cover and the little knob on one of the joysticks is missing (although the joystick seems to work just fine without it.)

Top Top

#

Fri Jan 13, 2017 1:33 pm

Site Admin

On the face of the Cyber Commander, do you have vertical blue/gray bars? Alternatively, when each channel is selected, is the name of the light in blue in the lower right?

Also, how many vertical bars (either blue/gray or empty black) do you have?

Make sure above the left joystick, you are using a CH number and not a GRP number (i.e. CH 01 and not GRP1). BTW, some people read this as GAP1.

To check function of the left joystick, you can go to the SETUP screen, select GROUPS, enter that screen. Then using the up/down function of the left joystick, the CH numbers should increase or decrease.

Top Top

#

Fri Jan 13, 2017 3:41 pm

Technical Support wrote:
On the face of the Cyber Commander, do you have vertical blue/gray bars? Alternatively, when each channel is selected, is the name of the light in blue in the lower right?

Yes to both.

Technical Support wrote:
Also, how many vertical bars (either blue/gray or empty black) do you have?

Technical Support wrote:
Make sure above the left joystick, you are using a CH number and not a GRP number (i.e. CH 01 and not GRP1). BTW, some people read this as GAP1.

Yes, I'm using a channel number.

Technical Support wrote:
To check function of the left joystick, you can go to the SETUP screen, select GROUPS, enter that screen. Then using the up/down function of the left joystick, the CH numbers should increase or decrease.

The up function works, but down does not. I can increase, but not decrease.

Top Top

#

Fri Jan 13, 2017 4:14 pm

Site Admin

Sometimes, there may be debris under the joystick cap. Push teh joystick up and blow/brush under it to see if the problem goes away.

If not, then the unit will need to be serviced. There are two price points for service on a Cyber Commander, $35 and $75, depending on what it takes to correct the problem. Shipping would be additional.

If the problem goes away, contact us, and we can probably get you a door and a joystick cap.

Top Top

#

Sat Jan 14, 2017 10:25 pm

With all my futzing around with this, blowing and brushing and working things back and forth, I got it working again. There was a probably some dirt in the left joystick, since that's the one with the missing cap.

It would be great to get a new joystick cap and battery cover - Gaff tape is great, but it's a poor substitute for an actual battery cover. :)

Top Top

#

Mon Jan 16, 2017 5:21 pm

Site Admin

I can get replacements to your address in your profile. If you need them sent to a different address, please contact our customer service team.

Top Top

#

Tue Jan 17, 2017 12:30 pm

Thank you, that would be great. Thanks for your help! Support at Paul C. Buff has always been as great as their products.

Top Top

Post a reply
 [ 7 posts ]