Paul C. Buff, Inc. Technical Forum

Technical Discussion Forum for all Paul C. Buff, Inc. Products

Login

Post a reply
 [ 15 posts ] 

Wed Feb 08, 2017 9:47 am

Site Admin

To answer the original question, if one were to put enough effort into it, it may be possible to install a tranciever internal to an existing light. However, performance would likely be poor, and since the light was not designed for such, you may run into shorts and other electrical issues. Plus, you would void any warranties that may exist.

Also, as for running jumpers external to the light, I would have to recommend against it, as you are exposing the ground, which can cause an electrocution hazard.

Top Top

#

Fri Feb 10, 2017 5:30 pm

Technical Support wrote:
as for running jumpers external to the light, I would have to recommend against it, as you are exposing the ground, which can cause an electrocution hazard.

I completely understand that PCB must protect against liability with this advisement, but I am more than willing to assume the risk to avoid several others:

For the last five years Einsteins were my "Grab Your Lights and Go". When I am outdoors, I usually move around.

I have had CSXCV's fall out - luckily into my cart so they were not lost. I have banged an Einstein against a tree - almost directly on the CSXCV. I was amazed both still worked and that the card was not completely snapped off. Never the less, their protrusion is a risk for breakage. I have nearly forgotten CSXCV's when leaving the studio to go on location.

When in studio, I frequently have an Einstein on a drop pin on a boom. As you know, that usually puts the light in an upside-down position. One day the CSXCV on that light had fallen out when I was not around. Luckily it was not stepped on, and also that I managed to find where it had bounced under a cabinet.

And, as mentioned by others, it just saves time. It may not seem like much to some, but I've got a bunch of little things I do to save setup time, and together they make a difference.

Craíg

Top Top

Website

#

Thu Feb 16, 2017 10:27 am

Thanks for the heads up. I've got some insulating tape around the exposed pins. That should be enough to protect against shorting it out.

Technical Support wrote:
Also, as for running jumpers external to the light, I would have to recommend against it, as you are exposing the ground, which can cause an electrocution hazard.

Top Top

Website

#

Thu Feb 16, 2017 10:31 am

I'm in exactly the same boat. All of the little time savings add up. Any fraction of a second I can save is worth the effort.

I'm happy to report that after a couple of location shoots, the "installed" receiver is working perfectly! It's so great being able to take it out of the bag and go straight to the light stand with it. If I have any problems, I'll be sure to update. But so far, so good!

craig16229 wrote:
And, as mentioned by others, it just saves time. It may not seem like much to some, but I've got a bunch of little things I do to save setup time, and together they make a difference.

Top Top

Website

#

Fri Mar 03, 2017 12:20 pm

Would it be possible to make an extender with about a 10 inch length?
Then the receiver would hang below the light so the antenna would be out in the open.
Is that even needed for better range?

Top Top

Post a reply
 [ 15 posts ]