Paul C. Buff, Inc. Technical Forum

Technical Discussion Forum for all Paul C. Buff, Inc. Products

Login

Post a reply
 [ 4 posts ] 

Thu Feb 02, 2017 11:01 am

I would like to get a flash meter. I've got 2 Digibees and 2 old Nikon speed lights. I do have the cybercyncs on the bees but have cheap Cowboy Studio triggers on the speed lights. If I'm mixing both systems, I trigger with the Cowboy Studio triggers and optically slave the bees.

Aside from the obvious utility of the CyberCommander, which I am looking forward to, can I use it as a flash meter for the speed lights triggered by the Cowboy Studio triggers? I guess the actual question is, can I make it work as a flash meter without the Buff trigger?

It seems like this question has to have been asked before but in searching I could not find an answer.

Top Top

#

Thu Feb 02, 2017 4:32 pm

Site Admin

The Cyber Commander meters as soon as the meter button is pressed. There is not a way to "arm" it and let it wait for a flash occurance as there is with some other meters.

Top Top

#

Thu Feb 02, 2017 4:38 pm

Site Admin

On second thought, you may be able to put the Cowboy Studio transmitter on an optical slave. When the Buff lights fire, it will fire the speedlights, and that should get metered (that will depend on the latency of the CS remotes). However, this will not allow for individual light metering.

Top Top

#

Thu Feb 02, 2017 5:35 pm

Thank you for answering my question about "arming" the CyberCommander… even though I didn't know that was the question I was asking… but it was.

I understand your idea on the workaround, thanks for that. I think the latency would be fine in that I have daisychained the cowboy studio transmitter on the camera with a cyber sync on one of the CS receivers and still got a clean 1/320 sync speed.

Top Top

Post a reply
 [ 4 posts ]