Paul C. Buff, Inc. Technical Forum

Technical Discussion Forum for all Paul C. Buff, Inc. Products

Login

Post a reply
 [ 2 posts ] 

Sun Feb 12, 2017 2:39 pm

I think I know why but don't know how to fix it. I haven't used my wonderful Buff system in a long time and have only used it a few times in the past. I believe I forgot what to do.

Here's the situation: I own 3 Einsteins, the Cyber Commander and use the CST on my camera. Today, I am using only two of my lights. I could raise the power of the 2 lights together with the CC in the flash screens "ALL" setting, but not lower them. Then, I figured it has something to do with CC thinking I am also using my third unconnected light. My third light happened to set at its minimum power level (zero) in the CC so when I try to lower "all" the lights together, they don't go lower because the third light can't go lower than zero power.

I am convinced this is the problem because when I raised the power from zero on the CC of my third unconnected light, I was then able to lower the power of 'all' the lights.

I would think that the CC would know automatically that I'm not using my third light. However, it appears I have to tell it somehow. It should not require me to use setup to 'remove' it. Right?

How do I handle this?

Thanks in advance to whomever can tell me the solution.

Top Top

#

Mon Feb 13, 2017 3:39 pm

Site Admin

The Cyber Commander is performing as designed. The function of "ALL" is to affect all lights equally. If it is defined, then it is adjusted. Even if the light was in standby (OFF), it would still block movement that tried to force it lower than minimum.

By its very definition, the Cyber Commander cannot selectively affect some lights in the ALL channel selection.

There are a few options: You can set up two lights as a group (example; GRP8). Instead of going to the ALL setting, you can go to GRP8 and adjust them as a pair, and leave the third light alone.

Or, you can go to spec lights, and specify this one as NONE to remove it.

Or, you can go to Open Memory, and open from studio, and only the two connectged lights will pair.

Top Top

Post a reply
 [ 2 posts ]