Paul C. Buff, Inc. Technical Forum

Technical Discussion Forum for all Paul C. Buff, Inc. Products

Login

Post a reply
 [ 2 posts ] 

Thu Feb 23, 2017 4:15 am

Hi all

Apologies if this has been covered before but I can't find anything in the searches.

I have had a VML for 3 or 4 years and use it mainly for Profoto D1. I know that the company doesn't recommend using VML with Profoto, but I talked to a number of pros over in Europe who are doing so and they say they have no trouble so long as the D1s have had the Profoto battery conversion, which mine have. I don't use the VML that frequently because I only have one and it's rare that I work with a single light set-up (I wanted more of them but Paul C Buff Europe stopped trading and i could no longer get them in the UK - is this situation still the same?), but when I have it has worked flawlessly until the other day when I was shooting the last commercial ropewalk in the UK. It's a quarter of a mile long, with limited power points, so I used the VML for one section.

For the first time the VML failed to power the D1. No response at all. Yet the VML was registering a full battery. It was the same with my other two heads. I tried it on my Elinchroms, which it usually works with and again nothing - apart, strangely, from on the 500, where it powers an LED light on one of the switches. I tried it on a hard drive, and also tried the USB power on a number of devices. All nothing. Yet the lights on the VML register full power (I recharged it just in case) and battery itself, separated from the inverter, registers 15V on my meter.

It sounds like an inverter issue. Does anyone have any idea what might be going on here?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Rob Scott

Crafted in Britain - Britain's surviving traditional industries: http://bit.ly/CraftedInBritain

T: 0044781 777 3801
E: robindavidscott@yahoo.co.uk
W: www.robscottphotography.com

Top Top

#

Thu Feb 23, 2017 9:42 am

Site Admin

When switched on, do you get a light next to the USB port? If not, then take a look at the fuse. If so, then the inverter is faulty.

As for service or ordering more Vagabonds, please contact our customer service team. I will tell you you will need a copy of your invoice or other proof on purchase from Paul C Buff, Europe.

Top Top

Post a reply
 [ 2 posts ]