Paul C. Buff, Inc. Technical Forum

Technical Discussion Forum for all Paul C. Buff, Inc. Products

Login

Post a reply
 [ 7 posts ] 

Fri Mar 03, 2017 7:27 am

Hi I'm new to Paul C Buff, I got Einstein, cyber commander.

To get the high speed sync to work, what else do I need to do besides setting to action mode? Still getting bad photos when my speed goes further than 1/200. THanks!

Top Top

#

Fri Mar 03, 2017 2:34 pm

Serena wrote:
Hi I'm new to Paul C Buff, I got Einstein, cyber commander.

To get the high speed sync to work, what else do I need to do besides setting to action mode? Still getting bad photos when my speed goes further than 1/200. THanks!

I was initially looking to do the same thing.
Turns out that PB products do not allow you to do that. Einstein can go into a supersync, but not HSS.
Guess who's getting rid of all all the thousands of dollars invested into PB to move to an xplor this year?..
yep. this guy.

Top Top

#

Fri Mar 03, 2017 3:21 pm

Site Admin

Correct, our lights are not HSS capable, inherently. Einstein derives its action stopping ability from its faster flash duration.

Top Top

#

Fri Mar 24, 2017 7:28 pm

On the one hand Serena wrongly assumed the Einsteins had HSS capability. No offense, but how did you buy these without researching this first? But in fairness to Serena, everyone and their mother is producing HSS studio light options.

I love my Einsteins - in studio - ONLY - outdoors, not so much. Hate carrying around ND filters so I can shoot in bright sunlight.

Sorry Paul C. Buff, your technology is dated and its time to update your brand or your going to be left in the dust by both the high end and all the Chinese lights on the market that offer both HSS and TTL. While we are on the subject, its time for a complete redesign of the Cyber Commander. Small buttons, easy to corrupt software and way to complex to use.

Profoto, Elinchrom, Broncolor, Photix, even Godox remotes are way easier to use and understand.

Love to more Benjamins with a US company, but you are resting on your laurels at this point - time to drag yourselves into the HSS era and don't forget Sony support now too. Heck you dont even offer the correct fastest syn speed for Canon - 1/200th of a second, you only offer Nikon speed of 1/250th. Charge more to recoup development cost, I for one will keep buying. But I won't add anymore of your lights to my kit until I see significant updates in the gear and Cyber Commander....digiBees are fine, but they are not cutting it as far as innovation goes.

Hoping the wings.

BTW, Paul C. Buff, still the best customer support in the lighting business - bar none!

Top Top

Website

#

Sun Mar 26, 2017 12:53 am

Robert Mariani wrote:
On the one hand Serena wrongly assumed the Einsteins had HSS capability. No offense, but how did you buy these without researching this first?

My sense is by what Serena said is she is not new just to Einsteins, but to the world of lighting. And Serena - if this is true - there is NOTHING wrong with that. We all start off knowing nothing about strobes and flashes other than we press the shutter and they blink.

If this is the case, Robert, than you are being unfairly edgy toward her. How many people who are researching to get their first set of lights have a solid understanding of the differences between and uses of HSS (high speed sync), HS (hypersync), and freezing motion with short flash duration? Their differences, uses, and their advantages and disadvantages are not something that is quickly learned and solidly understood just by research. IMO, it takes the experience of being a working photographer for a while to have them really clear in one's head.

To put it another way, I have talked to a good number of photographers getting their start in lighting who have confused high speed sync with short flash duration, or because they hear a strobe described as being "fast".

I started learning lighting back in the 80's. The irony is that although lighting was harder to achieve (because of things like sync cords, lower possible sync speeds) and was less accessible (because there were fewer brands and choices that were less affordable, and that were bulky), from a pure technical standpoint there was less to learn about strobes. Today - beyond HSS, HS, and flash duration - think about all of the lights there are to choose from, all of the advancing tech in them, and all the different triggering systems.

CraĆ­g

Top Top

Website

#

Sun Mar 26, 2017 8:07 am

@ craig16299

Craig - you quoted me out of context, but I stand by the words. IF she wanted HSS, then she must have known what it is and what it is used for, or at least I give her the benefit of the doubt that she did. If she didn't want or need it, why would she inherently expect it to be built into the strobes.

There is nothing wrong with not knowing everything about any piece of equipment. But this was a specific complaint about a specific piece of gear that can cleary be learned about on the manufacturers site. The resposibilty for not knowing the feature set of the gear rests squarely with the photographer in not doing research, at least on the manufacturers site, prior to purchasing the gear. Hardly an edgy concept or comment. Again, Paul C. Buff offers excellent tech support, pre-sales support and 30 day money back on equipment, it might actually be 60 day.

So let's put it another way; you need to shoot 14 frames per second, are you reaching for a Canon 5D or a 1DX MK II? Is it Canon's fault if your answer is the 5D?

Robert Mariani
http://www.robertmariani.com

Top Top

Website

#

Tue Mar 28, 2017 10:26 am

I wouldn't be too hard on the OP for the mixup (I've had similar mixups over different things), though it's certainly not PCB's fault.

I also with PCB would come out with a battery-strobe solution along the lines of the Profoto B1 and now many other competitors.

Einstein is a fantastic flash - I've used them for years for arena lighting for equine events, and can fire off 7fps from my 5D Mark IV and as long as I have the Einsteins turned down about 20%, they can keep up with me, thousands of shots all day long every weekend. Recently I bought 4 more to permanently install in the arena I'm at most frequently. For that job, why take a chance on anything else?

But for location shooting, especially outdoors, they're outclassed by the newfangled units with HSS and removable battery... no need to take extra time to attach a battery pack to the stand... if you want to switch from stand to handheld, no need to unclamp a battery and strap it on, just loosen the flash from the stand and go.

For years now I've used a NicePhoto strobe for my outdoor shooting. It doesn't have true HSS (just a slow-bulb rather than a pulse, so there's some minor banding in some cases), but it allows me to light a subject against a sunlit background. I'm looking to replace that with a more modern unit, and would love for PCB to come out with a solution. They'd have to do something about their modifier mount (perhaps simply lengthen the tabs and have a locking mechanism?), but if they could just put a rechargable/swappable battery on Einstein tech, add HSS capability... TTL would be a bonus (and most of the competitors have it, so unless the price is a lot better, it kind of needs it), and make the body more ergonomic for handholding, then I'd be like TAKE MY MONEY!

Top Top

Post a reply
 [ 7 posts ]