Paul C. Buff, Inc. Technical Forum

Technical Discussion Forum for all Paul C. Buff, Inc. Products

Login

Post a reply
 [ 15 posts ] 

Thu Jan 26, 2017 9:37 pm

I'm curious, is it possible to hard wire or solder a Cyber Sync Transceiver into a Digibee or Einstein?

Engineers, whatcha think? I'd guess space inside the cases and RF noise would be the biggest hurdles.

I'm getting tired of the pins bending on the receivers and I'd LOVE to be able to eliminate pugging/unplugging the transceivers from my setup/breakdown process. (transporting them with the transceivers left in doesn't work. The pins bend and the transceivers pop out)

Thanks!

Top Top

Website

#

Fri Jan 27, 2017 8:04 pm

Here is a mod that I use to leave CSXCV transceivers attached to Einsteins. I've done this for about a year right now, and my lights have traveled and been in and out of bags more than they have been in studio, and I have not had any misfiring issues. The basics of what you need are 18-22 AWG male/female jumper wires, double-sided adhesive pads to stick the transceivers to the top of the Einstein, and Velcro strips and/or gaffer tape or whatever you wish to use to give the jumper wires some protection:

Craíg

Top Top

Website

#

Fri Jan 27, 2017 8:48 pm

Craig,
Thank you!! This exactly what I was wondering about. Good to know that you haven't had any misfiring or malfunction caused by the placement of the receiver.

Your set up got me wondering if an adapter like this would work:

This would put receiver flat against the case, like yours, where it could be secured with gaff tape or similar. The trick would be finding the right pin spacing and size.

The perfect solution would be to put it inside but I don't know if I'm brave enough to take apart one of my new DigiBees and solder it in. Nothing ventured, nothing gain, right ?!

Top Top

Website

#

Sat Jan 28, 2017 1:20 am

DuboisPhotoGrp wrote:
Craig,
Thank you!! This exactly what I was wondering about. Good to know that you haven't had any misfiring or malfunction caused by the placement of the receiver.

Your set up got me wondering if an adapter like this would work:

This would put receiver flat against the case, like yours, where it could be secured with gaff tape or similar. The trick would be finding the right pin spacing and size.

The perfect solution would be to put it inside but I don't know if I'm brave enough to take apart one of my new DigiBees and solder it in. Nothing ventured, nothing gain, right ?!

I could not find any connectors with the right spacing, but I did not look too hard, either. Maybe you can, and come up with a variation of my mod that is even better :)

Craíg

Top Top

Website

#

Tue Jan 31, 2017 10:16 am

I think I found an adapter that will work. It's on the way. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Paul Buff tech folks - Any chance we'll see an internal receiver in future Einstein/Digibees? That would be super cool.

Top Top

Website

#

Tue Jan 31, 2017 10:40 am

Site Admin

DuboisPhotoGrp wrote:
Paul Buff tech folks - Any chance we'll see an internal receiver in future Einstein/Digibees? That would be super cool.

As a modification to current design, probably not. There is more to it than just soldering on a receiver board.

As for any future lights, I can't say one way or another.

Top Top

#

Sun Feb 05, 2017 9:31 pm

Craig - that looks great

what is the mod in your umbrella shaft?

DuboisPhotoGrp wrote:
I think I found an adapter that will work. It's on the way. I'll let you know how it turns out.

sounds good
Waiting to here how the are

Top Top

#

Tue Feb 07, 2017 5:28 pm

yitzy wrote:
Craig - that looks great

I don't use umbrellas very much, so I use the umbrella shaft for a threaded rod that connects to an adjustable ratchet handle that can be flipped down out of the way for packing. When flipped up like seen in the first photo, it serves as a leverage handle for when I need to adjust the tilt on a light modifier. With larger, heavier mods, it is difficult to make those adjustments without someplace to grab onto.

Craíg

Top Top

Website

#

Wed Feb 08, 2017 12:53 am

Clever! I love seeing how people modify their gear.

craig16229 wrote:
yitzy wrote:
Craig - that looks great

I don't use umbrellas very much, so I use the umbrella shaft for a threaded rod that connects to an adjustable ratchet handle that can be flipped down out of the way for packing. When flipped up like seen in the first photo, it serves as a leverage handle for when I need to adjust the tilt on a light modifier. With larger, heavier mods, it is difficult to make those adjustments without someplace to grab onto.

Craíg

Top Top

Website

#

Wed Feb 08, 2017 12:56 am

Success! Here's what I came up with:

Full details of the build are on my website:

http://www.duboisphotogroup.com/built-i ... r-digibee/

It's a pretty straightforward modification. Now comes the durability test. :shock:

Top Top

Website

Post a reply
 [ 15 posts ]