Paul C. Buff, Inc. Technical Forum

Technical Discussion Forum for all Paul C. Buff, Inc. Products

Login

Post a reply
 [ 2 posts ] 

Wed May 10, 2017 11:51 am

Hello! I've been doing casual photography for years, but I never learned studio photography. I've always wanted to try Alienbees though, which I remembered now that I'm looking to learn for purposes of product and portrait photography.

I have a Leica Q and a Sony A6000; yes, both mirrorless. I'm not sure how things are different in a mirrorless setup, so I'd appreciate some suggestions. I'm looking to get a DB800. Do I need a trigger/receiver of some sort? How do I know which is compatible with my camera(s)?

Thank you!

Top Top

#

Wed May 10, 2017 2:26 pm

Site Admin

There is no difference in using a mirrorless camera vs a traditional SLR. Each of the two cameras you mention has a standard (enough) hotshoe, so you can use a hotshoe adapter to plug the sync cord between cmera and flash, or you can use radio remotes, such as our CyberSync system, including our Cyber Commander.

The one caveat to using mirrorless cameras and cameras with live view capabilities, is that most will not trigger a non-dedicated flash in what is generally called "silent" mode (or some similar phrasing). If the flashes do not seem to trigger, be sure the camera is not in this mode.

Top Top

Post a reply
 [ 2 posts ]