Paul C. Buff, Inc. Technical Forum

Technical Discussion Forum for all Paul C. Buff, Inc. Products

Login

Post a reply
 [ 4 posts ] 

Tue May 02, 2017 5:39 pm

I have a couple of AB800's and one 1600. For some reason one 800 and the 1600 are now misfiring. Meaning when I push the test button on the back or try to remotely trigger they won't fire for a few shutters then they will. Not running them at the same time. They both do this. I tried changing power cords, and different locations. Also does the same no matter how low or high the flash is set. I've tried all my remote triggers and different hardwires.I only have one that is working correctly. I use these suckers all the time so it's killing me. This also occurs when they are hooked up to my Vagabound mini.
Any suggestions?

Top Top

#

Wed May 03, 2017 8:59 am

Site Admin

Trouble shooting will need to be done with the test button on the flash, with nothing but the power cord plugged into the back panel.

First, with the light unplugged, check the flash tube on each. Make sure there is no visible damage to it.

Also, using a clean cloth or tissue, press in on the flash tube to ensure it is fully seated. Especially make sure the trigger leg (the by itself) is is straight and not bent. This can happen if one is not careful mounting or unmounting softboxes or other modifiers.

Once you have ensured this, plug the light in and try again. If it works and the light does not make an unusual "ZAP" sound, you should be fine.

If you get teh ZAP sound, or it is still not working, unplug the light and let it sit for about 10 minutes. Again using a cloth/tissue, remove the model lamp and remove teh flash tube. The model lamp unscrews, and the flash tube pulls straight out, though rocking it may help.

Once removed, inspect the legs for any charring. Black inside teh glass is fine, but not on the metal legs. If the legs are charred, The tube has arced and the eyelets inside the light are also damaged and the light will need to be repaired. If the legs are charred, replacing the flash tube may work for a short period, but it will also get damaged.

If the tube looks OK, it could still be a bad flash tube. Swapping the tube with the good light or a new tube can verify this. If a known working tube still does not work, then there is a fault in the flash head.

Top Top

#

Fri May 05, 2017 12:45 pm

Awesome will check and see. Thanks

Top Top

#

Fri May 05, 2017 1:25 pm

Yes this was the problem. Both tubes had became slightly unseated. Thanks!

Top Top

Post a reply
 [ 4 posts ]