Paul C. Buff, Inc. Technical Forum

Technical Discussion Forum for all Paul C. Buff, Inc. Products

Login

Post a reply
 [ 4 posts ] 

Thu May 11, 2017 11:09 am

Can an Einstein or an Alien Bee trigger a Canon 600 EX when you want to use the Canon Speedlite for a hair light or a rim light in studio?
We have a very narrow studio and I am trying to figure out a way an Alien Bee or an Einsteincan be a main light and the Canon flashes to be a hair light and or a rim light. We don't have much space on the sides of a 12 ft by 27 ft studio and the speed lights wouldn't take up as much room on the sides of the backdrop with a small stand.
I don't care if it triggers the Canon lights by sight or by radio, they just need to go off.

Thank you
Kathy Hobbs

Top Top

#

Thu May 11, 2017 2:26 pm

Site Admin

The first question is how are you triggering the Einstein or AlienBee?

If by radio, you can get a second radio to connect to the Speedlight.

ALternately, regardless of how you are triggering, you can buy an optical slave eye for the Speedlight that will trigger when any other flash fires. Canon's do not have this feature buit in like some other flash units.

Top Top

#

Thu May 11, 2017 8:17 pm

I'm sorry I didn't mention the kind of triggering I was using. I have cybersyncs and also a set of Pocket Wizards.
Where do I get this optical slave eye for the Canon's?

Thank you

Top Top

#

Fri May 12, 2017 9:32 am

Site Admin

There are a few options available. I would check out FlashZebra, as he knows some of the nuances of how these work with various flashes.

http://flashzebra.com/opticalslaves/index.shtml I would probably select #0272, as it has a screw lock cable, and becuase it is a cable, it can be repositioned for better reception.

You can also get a CSRB receiver and connect to the speedlight for triggering with your CyberSync system. If you have a Cyber Commander, you can use a CSRB+, and meter and group the speedlight (but adjustment will still be made on the flash itself).

Top Top

Post a reply
 [ 4 posts ]