Paul C. Buff, Inc. Technical Forum

Technical Discussion Forum for all Paul C. Buff, Inc. Products

Login

Post a reply
 [ 4 posts ] 

Thu Apr 29, 2010 5:15 pm

I am considering getting 2 AB800s(or Einsteins), a Vagabond II, 2 13-foot stands, and 2 medium/large modifiers (large softbox and/or maybe a PLM).

I have enough trouble toting around my speedlights, stands, umbrellas, and ankleweights(only 14 lbs worth).

I am curious what cases people use to pack up their lighting gear?

Ideally I'd like wheels.

I'm also curious do you use a separate case for flight travel vs local travel?

Top Top

#

Sun May 02, 2010 6:17 pm

I purchased a large softshell golf travel case with wheel. Purchased at Dick's for $49.99. It is suitable for local trips but it can be overloaded easily. I have 4 @ 10 lb ankle weights, four light stands, two reflectors w/ stands & arms, cords and more.
It works but you can easily be overloaded (weight).

Top Top

#

Mon May 03, 2010 4:09 pm

I use a largish plastic toolbox with added padding. Fits 3 AB's, cords and stuff (not stands). No wheels, but such also exist.

Top Top

#

Tue May 04, 2010 1:57 pm

I tend to move my gear around a fair bit - 5WLs a couple of large softboxes, umbrellas, stands, adaptors...the kit and kaboodle mostly. I've got a couple of bags that I got from B+H as well as Adorama to move them around.

Adorama: http://www.adorama.com/Als/ProductPage/LTCSO.html

B+H: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/6 ... _Case.html

Do remember that when they say 3 lights, that's going to be a tight fit. If you've got X3200's, forget about getting 3 ever in there. I would say that I prefer the B+H ones for transport of my strobes and light modifiers - the wheels are useful. These are "fairly" padded - don't toss them from a car! For the light stands, I purchased a couple of large duffel bags for about $35 each. The thing I like about this setup is that I can toss everything into the car quickly, easily and with the least amount of fuss.

Top Top

Post a reply
 [ 4 posts ]