Paul C. Buff, Inc. Technical Forum

Technical Discussion Forum for all Paul C. Buff, Inc. Products

Login

Post a reply
 [ 7 posts ] 

Fri Apr 30, 2010 5:40 pm

Once I have taken a reading with the CC flash meter, I can change the flash output power and watch the flash bracket track accordingly.....if I double the power, the flash bracket indicates +1, if I half the original setting, the fb indicates -1. No problem so far, but if I allow the CC to go to sleep while still shooting, it will wake up with the flash bracket reset to 0. Is this normal? I would have guessed that once the flash meter had a base value, it would hold that that until a new measurement was taken.

Richard K.

Top Top

#

Fri Apr 30, 2010 10:57 pm

Site Admin

When you bracket in ALL, the changes are applied to each light channel as if you had made the same adjustment to each channel simultaneously. When you leave ALL, the changes (bracketing) remain applied to each channel and to all meter readings. If you return to ALL it says +/of, ready for a new bracketing adjustment. Try it. Look at the power and meter reading of a channel before you bracket and then after you leave ALL mode . . . you'll see the change has been implemented. Or read the manual for this info.

Top Top

#

Sat May 01, 2010 8:57 am

Paul,

Thanks for the reply. I may not have been clear. If I have the CC set to ALL and take a reading, then adjust the lights, everything works fine. However, if I allow the display to time out (mine is set to twenty seconds), the EB resets to 0. I have not changed the display mode or made any other changes it simply timed out.

RichardK.

Top Top

#

Sat May 01, 2010 10:23 am

Have you tried using the "REFRESH" button? Just asking.

RMS

Top Top

#

Sat May 01, 2010 10:39 am

Site Admin

mill4570 wrote:
Paul,

Thanks for the reply. I may not have been clear. If I have the CC set to ALL and take a reading, then adjust the lights, everything works fine. However, if I allow the display to time out (mine is set to twenty seconds), the EB resets to 0. I have not changed the display mode or made any other changes it simply timed out.

RichardK.

Read the CC manual and my post above, then try it. ALL mode always reads zero when you enter it. As you bracket in ALL mode, watch the bars for each light - you will see them change as you bracket and the change remains when it when you leave all mode but the ALL mode returns to reading zero so you can make a new bracketing adjustment.

Top Top

#

Sat May 01, 2010 11:12 am

RMS965,

Refresh doesn't seen to change anything. Thanks for the suggestion.

Paul,

I do understand what you are saying, and I have read your post and the manual. But I am not leaving the "ALL" screen. The CC is set to ALL and I make an adjustment to the lights. The EB reads something other than 0. I do not leave the "ALL" screen. I simply place the unit on a table. After twenty seconds, the display times out and turns off. When I wake the CC up, it is still in "ALL" , the lights setting are where they are suppose to be, but the EB has reset to 0. Are you saying that a time out of the CC is the same as leaving "ALL" and then returning?

Richard K.

Top Top

#

Sat May 01, 2010 9:25 pm

Site Admin

Seems that way. It looks like the time out is effectively reseting the ALL display to to 0 f in the same way as if you had left ALL and come back to it. As long the the bracketing changes you made are retained this shouldn't present an operational problem? Any time you enter ALL it's supposed to read 0 because the changes have been sent on to the channels and have updated meter reading, duration and color displays, WS . . . etc.

As I said, Bracketing in ALL is not a separately stored function . . . it is a means of changing the parameters of all channels simultaneously and the changes are stored in the individual channels' memory. If not clear ask for David in customer service - he's very good at guiding customers and also moderates this forum. I'm on a weekend trip today.

Top Top

Post a reply
 [ 7 posts ]