Paul C. Buff, Inc. Technical Forum

Technical Discussion Forum for all Paul C. Buff, Inc. Products

Login

Post a reply
 [ 6 posts ] 

Fri Dec 18, 2009 5:04 pm

What's the secret to holding-mounting a softbox (24x36 in my case) onto the four spring-loaded fingers... while at the same time awkwardly trying to hold the spring lever open (that doesn't slide very smoothly)? There's little to grasp on the softbox and at the same time guide the mount ring correctly onto the four fingers. Three hands are needed and I've only got two.
Sophomoric question, yes... but I've never figured out an easily workable method or balancing act, even after two years!

Top Top

#

Fri Dec 18, 2009 5:44 pm

Site Admin

Technique will vary from user to user, Bees to WL, and if the box is foldable or standard.

Generally, i reach into the velcro at the speedring and grip onto the folding mechanisms. Move the lever over (or squeeze them on a Bee). Position the bottom of the speedring into place, ensuring the bottom two fingers are within the speedring, and "roll" the top into position. as long as all 4 fingers are in the speedring, it will self center when you release the lever. I then double check all fingers are properly inside the speed ring.

Some will lay the box on the ground, mount the light to the box, then to the stand.

Top Top

#

Fri Dec 18, 2009 10:10 pm

I have found that laying the light modifier on the ground and mount the AB or WL seems to work best.

I agree, there isn't much to hold onto and if you are working alone, the process is awkward. I have both the foldable and support rod type of softboxes.

Top Top

#

Fri Dec 18, 2009 11:20 pm

set up the box... lay it face down on the ground... aim the bee over it with the lever sqeezed... then lower your bee into it!

Top Top

#

Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:33 pm

I'm also placing the box face down and mounting the light onto it, then mounting both on the light stand.

I think it would be nice to have a cloth handle attached to the back/black side of the box, maybe 12" above the speed ring. I'm using a 60 PCB box, that my wife calls the boat.

Top Top

#

Mon Dec 28, 2009 12:14 pm

Glad to hear that I'm not the only one who finds softbox-to-strobe mounting awkward, if not difficult (WhiteLightnings + foldable SB's). The "cloth handle idea" on the Softbox is an excellent idea.

Top Top

Post a reply
 [ 6 posts ]