Paul C. Buff, Inc. Technical Forum

Technical Discussion Forum for all Paul C. Buff, Inc. Products

Login

Post a reply
 [ 14 posts ] 

Fri May 07, 2010 12:35 pm

If you don't already have such a thing in the works, I would like to suggest that PCB come out with a small, zip or snap opening, fitted pouch or case (maybe foam lining in a plastic shell) that could safely house, perhaps, 4 CSXCV Transceiver Modules on one side and a Cyber Commander and single CST Transmitter on the other. Finding a suitable plastic bead or tackle box hasn't been as easy as I thought it would be and the CC and CSXCV modules really do need protection when not in use.

Dave F.

Top Top

#

Fri May 07, 2010 2:47 pm

Site Admin

Good idea and welcomed. But finding such an item is as difficult for us as it is for you and the cost of having one made is on the order of $10-$20,000 in engineering and tooling. Hard to justify on the product priority list.

Top Top

#

Fri May 07, 2010 3:26 pm

Dave: did you get a chance to hit a local fishing tackle shop or Basspro/Cabelas? There should be a few that fit them decently well. Or a small Pelican case.

On the suggestion theme: I decided to use my Einstein w/o reading the directions. Everything was obvious on the back panel except the slave eye disable panel. The graphic wasn't obvious (two lightning bolts). Changing this to a dome (the eye) being hit w/ a lightning bolt would make it obvious...looks like there's enough space for the graphic :)

Top Top

#

Fri May 07, 2010 5:29 pm

tetrode wrote:
If you don't already have such a thing in the works, I would like to suggest that PCB come out with a small, zip or snap opening, fitted pouch or case (maybe foam lining in a plastic shell) that could safely house, perhaps, 4 CSXCV Transceiver Modules on one side and a Cyber Commander and single CST Transmitter on the other. Finding a suitable plastic bead or tackle box hasn't been as easy as I thought it would be and the CC and CSXCV modules really do need protection when not in use.

Dave F.

I contacted Customer Service to obtain the dimensions of the CC, CST, and CSXCV that I couldn't find anywhere on any PCB web site. :?:
The aggregate sizes of the CC, CST, and 4 CSXCVs are 13.4 cubic inches (ci): CC 5.4ci (3.62" x 2" x 0.75"), CST 3.5ci (3.75" x 1.25" x 0.75"), and 4 * CSXCV 4.5ci (4.5" x 1" x 0.25").

The interior volume of a Pelican 1015 Micro Case ($19.95 @ B&H) is 18.6ci (5.14" x 2.64" x 1.37") so it would probably hold them just fine. the 1015 doesn't come with foam interior, you would have get some elsewhere, that shouldn't be a problem.
If you wanted to store something else besides just the CC, CST, and 4 CSXCVs, then perhaps a Pelican 1060 Solid Micro Case ($15.29 @ B&H) with the Pelican 1062 Pick 'N' Pluck Foam Insert ($6.50 @ B&H) would be better-- it has 78.4ci (8.2" x 4.25" x 2.25") of storage!

I am not saying just buy a Pelican, there are other good cases on Adorama, B&H, and Calumet ($$$) to name a few dealers that I know and trust.

I am getting 1) CC, 1) CST, 1) CSRB, 4) CSXCVs and probably a few more CSRBs later on and I plan on keeping my existing RF triggers together with the CyberSyncs so I will get something at least the size of the 1060. I may just buy several cases this size, to segregate my Flash and Camera triggers, Hotshoes, and their cables.

Michael Rose,

Columbia, MD

Top Top

#

Fri May 07, 2010 5:41 pm

kenyee wrote:
Dave: did you get a chance to hit a local fishing tackle shop or Basspro/Cabelas? There should be a few that fit them decently well. Or a small Pelican case...

There are no local fishing tackle or Cabela's stores in my suburban New York City neck of the woods but I have been googling my brains out looking for a good candidate. All of the tackle boxes I've seen are too large for my needs. The smallest I saw on the Cabela's site was 7" long. I've also been spending far too much time cruising the aisles of local crafts stores. You know what? If there's one thing I hate it's crafts stores!

I did find what looked to be the perfect box (despite its ghastly color) and wasted even more time lining the bottom with cork and cutting a foam insert with surgical precision. I was very pleased with the finished product (CC display recorded for artistic reasons ;) ):

Unfortunately, I neglected to allow for the metering dome on the Cyber Commander and was *very* disappointed to discover the lid won't close because of it.

The search continues!

Dave F.

Top Top

#

Fri May 07, 2010 5:48 pm

Quote:
...The interior volume of a Pelican 1015 Micro Case ($19.95 @ B&H) is 18.6ci (5.14" x 2.64" x 1.37") so it would probably hold them just fine...

Thanks for the suggestion, Michael. The Pelican 1015 was actually the first box I considered. It's small but bulkier than I'd like. I only have 2 CSXCVs. However, since my custom box project crashed and burned, I may resort to the Pelican, at least until something more compact comes my way.

Dave F.

Top Top

#

Fri May 07, 2010 6:49 pm

Site Admin

No Walmart in NY?

Top Top

#

Sat May 08, 2010 9:21 pm

tetrode wrote:
There are no local fishing tackle or Cabela's stores in my suburban New York City neck of the woods

If you ever head out to Long Island (aka Montauk), there will be craploads of fishing tackle shops...it's one of those fishing meccas. Wally World as Paul mentioned also has a lot of fishing gear and cases but don't get the cheapy ones w/ the latches that are part of the case that will rip off with enough wear.
That pink case is indeed ghastly...I hate getting stuff at crafts shops too :D

Top Top

#

Sun May 09, 2010 7:25 am

kenyee wrote:
...If you ever head out to Long Island (aka Montauk), there will be craploads of fishing tackle shops...it's one of those fishing meccas...

Montauk is approximately 110 miles from where I live in Westchester County.

Dave F.

Top Top

#

Sun May 09, 2010 11:08 am

tetrode wrote:
kenyee wrote:
...If you ever head out to Long Island (aka Montauk), there will be craploads of fishing tackle shops...it's one of those fishing meccas...

Montauk is approximately 110 miles from where I live in Westchester County.

Dave F.

I live i Westchester County also. Should be plenty of tackle shops in Rye and Mamaroneck or any town along the sound.

Top Top

Post a reply
 [ 14 posts ]