Paul C. Buff, Inc. Technical Forum

Technical Discussion Forum for all Paul C. Buff, Inc. Products

Login

Post a reply
 [ 5 posts ] 

Wed May 12, 2010 8:41 am

Anyone have a suggested technique for attaching the 47" Octabox to an AB strobe by yourself? I found that with the box assembled, my arms aren't long enough to handle the box and comfortably reach the attachment prongs on the strobe head. Doing this with the light stand upright was impossible due to the forces of gravity. I laid the light stand down with the strobe head pointed straight up and was able to initially position the speed ring. But when I reach far enough behind to compress the attachement prongs, while holding the box by the outer edge, my head is now outside and behind the box and I can't see if I have all 4 prongs properly engaged on the speedring. I managed with some difficulty to wrestle everything into to place but found it most frustrating.

It would be most helpful if there were a very sturdy handhold on the outside of the box, perhaps a few inches forward of the speedring. The user could stand adjacent to the light stand but behind the box, hold the box up by the handhold, and still easily reach the attachment prongs.

Any help?

Top Top

#

Wed May 12, 2010 9:02 am

Why not try laying the octa flat-face down on the floor, and mate the AB (bulb facing downward & without the light stand) to the back of the octa & lock the prongs. Once set, you should easily be able to affix it to the stand.

Top Top

Website

#

Wed May 12, 2010 9:27 am

"Why not try laying the octa flat-face down on the floor, and mate the AB (bulb facing downward & without the light stand) to the back of the octa & lock the prongs. Once set, you should easily be able to affix it to the stand."

I like that! Will give it a try when I get home this evening. Thanks much!

Top Top

#

Wed May 12, 2010 9:48 am

Site Admin

I personally take the box in my left hand (i am right handed). I grip the speedring from behind (through the velcro) and squeeze the levers with my right hand. Once the fingers are retracted, I place the speedring over the tubes with the bottom edge just a little farther forward. Then I bring the bottom edge up to the retracted fingers. This allows as much clearance on top as posible. I then rotate the top edge until it rests on the faceplate. I now release the fingers, which have to be inside the speedring, and ensure it settles.

Foldable boxes are easier, as I grab the frame inside, but this still works with standards.

Top Top

#

Sun May 16, 2010 10:48 am

I had the exact same problem as you when I received mine, thinking I needed to grow some longer arms :)

I saw this easy solution on youtube - I attach the octa while collapsed - then reach inside, grab the inner frame, and just push the piece with the screw lock on it onto it's spigot. Easy as pie once you figure it out :)

Top Top

Post a reply
 [ 5 posts ]