Paul C. Buff, Inc. Technical Forum

Technical Discussion Forum for all Paul C. Buff, Inc. Products

Login

Post a reply
 [ 82 posts ] 

Fri May 28, 2010 2:03 pm

My CyberCommander keeps rebooting. It has new batteries and V2.9. It just goes through a period of time that it reboots and reboots everytime I press the meter button. Everytime it does it fires the Einstein and changes settings on the Einstein. Normally it will reset model to FULL.

Top Top

#

Fri May 28, 2010 2:12 pm

Site Admin

I know you do not like this question, but does it happen with the card in it? how about out of it? Are these fresh Alkaline or Lithium batteries, or are they rechargeables?

Top Top

#

Fri May 28, 2010 3:33 pm

Technical Support wrote:
I know you do not like this question, but does it happen with the card in it? how about out of it? Are these fresh Alkaline or Lithium batteries, or are they rechargeables?

Card in, fresh alkaline non-rechargeable. I have not tried it with the card out.

Top Top

#

Fri May 28, 2010 4:26 pm

Site Admin

The symptom mimics that of the processor being starved for power. Try a different set of batteries, or test the current set to ensure they are at 1.5V.

Top Top

#

Sun Jun 13, 2010 10:18 am

Mine just started doing this also. Fresh Alkaline batteries and card in. Luckily I have 2 so I sitch to my backup while it reboots. What needs to be done?

Top Top

#

Sun Jun 13, 2010 7:29 pm

Site Admin

double check the battery contacts and make sure they are making good contact with the batteries, also making sure the contact is hitting the battery square on.

Top Top

#

Mon Jun 21, 2010 7:35 am

Same here, I'm getting it happening fairly often using energizer rechargable 850mAH (I use rechargables for all my gear). Usually the only way I notice it is when I'm shooting and my strobes start to go off by themselves like every minute or so. Seems these rechargables typically run at 1.2v's as per their specsheet PDF: http://data.energizer.com/PDFs/nh12-850.pdf
Guess it's time to switch to lithiums for the CC :(

Top Top

Website

#

Mon Jun 21, 2010 8:46 am

Site Admin

The problem is power starvation to the processor. Power consumption increases significantly when a signal is transmitted. If using rechargeables with any discharge or if there is a bad battery contact, the power cannot keep up. This will cause the processor to shut down and reboot.

Using a premium set of alkalines, and dropping the backlight as low as it will go (and still be seen) will yeild a fairly long battery life under normal use. Of course if you use the screen often, then battery drain will be an issue sooner. This is often seen by new users trying to learn the system, and therefore the impression is given the batteries will drain fast every time.

Top Top

#

Mon Jun 21, 2010 11:36 am

Site Admin

Rechargeables are not a good idea since their 1.2V output is marginal at best. Ultra lithiums ($5 per pair) are far and away the best and will give you more life and constant voltage over life.

Top Top

#

Mon Jun 21, 2010 12:07 pm

[quote=" dropping the backlight as low as it will go (and still be seen) quote]

you can dim the backlight?

Top Top

Post a reply
 [ 82 posts ]