Paul C. Buff, Inc. Technical Forum

Technical Discussion Forum for all Paul C. Buff, Inc. Products

Login

Post a reply
 [ 82 posts ] 

Wed Jan 12, 2011 11:44 am

Here is a link to a series of images in the exact order that I shot them.
http://cdkimaging.com/galleries/cyber/
When they fired the lights did recycle, so I was not triggering them before they had a chance to recycle. I shot in this same location a week prior to this shoot and experienced only one misfire out of 95 shots, with the shoot listed above I shot only 30 frames and you can see the misfire rate or lights not firing that I experienced. I was with in 15 of all the units and had a clear line of sight to each receiver. hob dish on lite to the left and plmv2 on light at right. Both e640s with the e640 receivers and both of the lights back panels were facing towards me.

Top Top

#

Wed Jan 12, 2011 4:14 pm

Site Admin

have you tried updating to v.32 firmware?

Top Top

#

Wed Jan 12, 2011 4:25 pm

no I am running the last update v29

Top Top

#

Wed Jan 12, 2011 5:20 pm

I have had some re-booting issues with my CC and was hopeing that the recent firmware update would solve this problem.

Doesn't seem to have made a difference with my unit. Still have the re-boot issue.

Any ideas for what else can be done to fix this?

Top Top

#

Wed Jan 12, 2011 11:30 pm

Photoflight wrote:
Any ideas for what else can be done to fix this?

My CC fell ~3 feet a while back from a coffee table and rebooted consistantly with use afterwards. I messed around with the little battery tabs inside and could NOT fix the issue. One thing I noticed was that if I were to "shake" the CC it would reboot.

Solution - cut a peice of granny style, plastic kitchen shelf liner to fit between the batteries and door of the CC. It was a second choice since I couldn't find a piece of foam to glue on the back of the battery door.

Anywho, ever since the mod, no more reboots. It's worth a try, if you can reboot with a little shake or two.

Top Top

#

Thu Jan 13, 2011 10:20 am

Site Admin

Jackrabbit- Try installing v.32. Even though you are close, you may still be affected by a range issue corrected in the new version.

Photoflight- if you send it in, we can likely tweak the CC to prevent the rebooting. If you increase the screen brightness to 40% or higher, it should stop until it can come in.

Top Top

#

Thu Jan 13, 2011 12:19 pm

TS,
Thanks, I'll try changing the screen brightness for right now.

Top Top

#

Sat Jan 15, 2011 5:48 pm

My CC is still doing the reboot thing also. I am using lithium batteries, I have the screen brightness at 50%, and the screen time out at 40 seconds. Tapping the CC on the sides does not cause it to reboot. I am at version 29 and the SD card is installed. The reboots seem to occur most often when the unit has gone to sleep, and I wake it up with the right joy stick. Pushing to the Refresh position. Some of the time the unit will reboot when awake and the right joy stick is used. Today it did something for the first time. I triggered the lights then place the CC on a table screen side up. When the screen timed out, (40 seconds) the lights fired and when I looked to see why, the CC was in the process of rebooting. No one had touched it, and no other transmitters were in use.

I have not updated the firmware because I do not have any range issues. The CC system works really well if we could get to the bottom of this reboot issue.

Do I send it in again or try to update the firmware first?

Some additional information for TS. The issue with the CC rebooting when it goes to sleep has increased.
I removed the SD card, reboots continue.
I removed the battery cover and measured the voltage at the CC terminals;
3.009 VDC with the CC asleep.
2.870 VDC CC awake and 50% Screen Brightness.
2.840 VDC CC awake, 50% Screen Brightness, and transmitting.
2.920 VDC CC awake, 20% Screen Brightness.
These are lithium batteries.

I operated the CC for an additional hour using only the left joy stick to wake up the CC and trigger my lights. No reboots using only the left joy stick. Use the right joy stick.....reboots.

Richard K.

Top Top

#

Fri Jan 21, 2011 2:35 pm

Has anyone tried Energizer® Ultimate Lithium in the CC? Are they an acceptable power source for the CC?

I had been using Duracell Ultra Advanced alkalines and was getting CC reboots when using the meter function. When the CC reboots the Einsteins try to fire but they don't fire at the set strength. After the misfire I am also not able to trigger the lights with the CST Trigger Transmitter until I power cycle the Einsteins.

After reading this thread I turned down the screen brightness to 10% and haven't experienced a reboot or misfire in several sessions so I'm guessing the CC is starved for power.

Top Top

Website

#

Fri Jan 21, 2011 3:47 pm

Site Admin

Lithium AAA's are an OK source for power. Some users may get different results when using them, some may not. Either way, if you are getting a reboot, we can resolve that if the Cyber Commander is sent in for warranty service.

Top Top

Post a reply
 [ 82 posts ]