Paul C. Buff, Inc. Technical Forum

Technical Discussion Forum for all Paul C. Buff, Inc. Products

Login

Post a reply
 [ 82 posts ] 

Sun Aug 29, 2010 8:23 pm

I just got my CC replaced as the rebooting was driving me nuts... I'd have to reset the ISO after each reboot and then the first meter reading would crash it again.

So far I haven't had any problems with the new one other than a few more misfires... but I'm planning on getting a CST to use as a popper anyway and just use the CC as meter/commander.

Great service from customer care as always...

Top Top

#

Sun Sep 19, 2010 8:32 am

Update on my cyber commanders reboot issue.
I put Lithiums in and no more reboots. It's been 2 weeks since the last time it happened (now I probably jinxed myself).
Just thought you would like to know

Top Top

#

Sun Sep 19, 2010 4:17 pm

I got my first garble screen today. After a metering, new flash appeared on my screen, the ones already set up got corrupted names, etc...

Hopefully I had saved my setup in the SD, I just had to reload it.

And that's with a set of batteries I replaced two weeks ago. I was able to continue to shoot without any other incident for the next days with the same batteries.

Top Top

#

Mon Oct 25, 2010 4:57 pm

Hi-
I have been having some rebooting problems with my cc as well, and have read through this posting. Before I list the issues that my cc is having, let me say that I have fresh duracell batteries in the unit, the contacts are secure and clean, and I have firmware 29. Using the cc with 2 einsteins and an abr800 w/csrb+.
Here are problems:
CC shuts down when taking meter readings with right joystick, could be third meter reading or it could be the fifteenth, very intermittent as to when it occurs. With the sd card IN the cc, the cc will not reboot or turn back on unless I remove the sd card. The cc will then turn back on.

CC shuts down when taking meter readings with right joystick, could be third meter reading or it could be the fifteenth, very intermittent as to when it occurs. With the sd card OUT of the cc, the cc will reboot itself and turn back on with out any action from me.

CC would not turn on with out removing sd card. After doing some testing, I left the studio to search this forum on possible solutions to the above problems. When I went back into the studio by this time the cc had turned itself off as it should have, but when I pushed the left joystick in the downward direction to turn the unit on it would not turn on. It would only turn on when I removed the sd card.

I wanted to see what would happen if I unplugged all of my lights and I just operated the cc as if the lights were on to see if I had the same problems with the cc shutting down. The cc did not shut down at all and worked very consistently, albeit wasn't triggering any lights. So, it would seem the problem occurs when the cc is actually communicating with light units only. The cc does not seem to shut down or reboot when I use its functions with the lights unplugged. So, I guess this would rule out a faulty right joystick on the unit, no?

So, these are the problems that my cc is having. What can I do to solve the problems? I saw that Luap wrote in this posting that a problem had been identified and was being corrected, but I did not see a follow up reply as to what solution has been found. Please advise.

Thanks

Top Top

#

Tue Oct 26, 2010 4:29 pm

Site Admin

I would recommend sending that unit in for service. We have some tweaks that will solve those issues, including the reboot. Interesting that the reboot changed when no recievers were active.

Top Top

#

Wed Oct 27, 2010 9:13 am

Technical Support wrote:
I would recommend sending that unit in for service. We have some tweaks that will solve those issues, including the reboot. Interesting that the reboot changed when no recievers were active.

Are the tweaks solving the issues I have with some CSR+ stopping to respond after a few shots? (http://www.paulcbuff-techforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=687) I'm still having these random problems, despite changing frequencies.

Top Top

#

Thu Oct 28, 2010 9:51 am

Site Admin

photopat wrote:
Technical Support wrote:

Are the tweaks solving the issues I have with some CSR+ stopping to respond after a few shots? (http://www.paulcbuff-techforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=687) I'm still having these random problems, despite changing frequencies.

I don't think it is the same issue. Therefore, I will respond to the original thread you linked to, so please check there.

Top Top

#

Wed Jan 12, 2011 1:33 am

Just wanted to post a follow up reply on the cyber commander reboot issue that I previous posted to this thread. As suggested, I sent the unit in for tweaks to correct the reboot problem. Everything went very smoothly with the return and getting the unit shipped back, great service! I wanted to use the "tweaked" unit over a series of photo shoots in different locations to see if the reboot problem had truly been fixed. I can say that it has not rebooted once since I received the unit back from pcb!
Now for the bad, and I don't know if this problem existed prior to sending the unit in for repair or not because the unit was rebooting so often before the tweaks that I really could not get a feel for the functionality of the unit. Here is what I am now having problems with, VERY inconsistent triggering [misfires] with einsteins and even the abr800 using the csrb+. On one shoot, I did over 275 shots and had one misfire and that was very acceptable no complaints there. The next day I did another shoot and the first few shots misfired, no flashes at all, then I had a few shots where the two einsteins that I was using both fired perfectly then I had a string of shots where only one was firing, then none, then both would fire. This was all with in maybe 25-30 frames. I have these shots still and could post all of the images in a web gallery for you to see them in order, just let me know. Then I had another shoot with similar results, where there would be misfires or only one unit would fire at a time. Then another shoot where I was using only one einstein outside with in 30 ft of the light unit [had clear line of sight] and was having a high number of misfires maybe every 3 or 4th frame would not fire. Let me say that in all of the above shoots I had a clear line of site to all light units and their receivers and was never more than 30 ft from the units. Like I said sometimes it works perfectly all day and the next it will be totally inconsistent. I have also tried changing batteries [using duracell regular aaa] when I start to get inconsistent results, but the new batteries have not helped.
I have read on the tech forum of others having some varied results with the einstein triggering lights, but with the way I have used the cyber commander I think that the unit should be providing better consistent results then what it has been doing. So, what suggestions do you have for this issue?
I need to come up with something to resolve this, and was thinking about ordering the cst cybersync trigger. Even though I feel like the cyber commander should be providing much better consistent results than what it has been doing. Plus, all of the time I have put into testing it during the reboot problem and now this issue. I am kind of at a point where I can't rely on the unit that I have purchased.
Thanks

Top Top

#

Wed Jan 12, 2011 11:03 am

Site Admin

When you get the misfires, are all units not firing or just one or two, or does it vary? Are you shooting in the same location every time, or are you traveling from location to location?

Top Top

#

Wed Jan 12, 2011 11:31 am

Sometimes none of the units will fire, then one or two will fire, then they may all fire then only one may fire. I have been in a variety of different environments/locations. One of the locations where I had problems where none of the lights would fire then only one would fire, I had been at the week prior to having these problems and the lights all fired correctly every time except one misfire and when I went back the next week, I had very inconsistent results. The communication between the cc and the remote lights seems to be fine in that I can adjust the power of the lights, its just that the triggering has become erratic.

Top Top

Post a reply
 [ 82 posts ]