Paul C. Buff, Inc. Technical Forum

Technical Discussion Forum for all Paul C. Buff, Inc. Products

Login

Post a reply
 [ 82 posts ] 

Mon Jul 26, 2010 10:05 am

Technical Support wrote:
For those having issues with rebooting. First make sure you have Alkalines with a good charge. make sure the battery contacts are straight, snug, and fit flat against the battery.

see if that fixes the issue, if not, please let us know!

already do these. what's next?

Top Top

#

Mon Jul 26, 2010 1:28 pm

Same here. Fresh alkalines, made sure the contacts were snug on the CC... still does it. I found that pulling the micro SD will get it to come up immediately or as previous posters mentioned just waiting 30-60 seconds. I doubt I'd even care if I had the CST to trigger. I can usually get my adjustments in, it's when shooting that I start to get frustrated.

Otherwise great gear!

Top Top

#

Mon Jul 26, 2010 2:46 pm

Site Admin

MT,
Is yours not coming on at all, or rebooting? If it is not coming on until the card is removed, you may wish to reformat the card, as it sounds corrupt.

Top Top

#

Mon Jul 26, 2010 3:54 pm

Site Admin

Everyone,
As we look into the problem, we need feedback on when this is happening. For example, do you notice it when you change screens? Take a meter reading? Fire from the hotshoe? sitting on a table? Any other time? Random?

This is to narrow down the problem of the Cyber Commander working fine, then suddenly reboot, showing the firmware version an coming back on. It has been reported the unit can either function normally or abnormally following. If you have a different issue, please ask in a seperate thread, so we can keep the issues seperate.

Again, to help alleviate this problem, be sure to use alkaline or lithium batteries, and be sure the contacts are making good contact with the batteries.

Top Top

#

Mon Jul 26, 2010 4:44 pm

I have 2 CC's.
1. Both will reboot when metering(right joy stick use).
2. Not when changing light settings (left joy stick use).
3. When not in use I keep it in my back pocket.
4. I do not use it on camera to fire strobes.
5. When it reboots it fires the all strobes.
6. After rebooting it will 95% of the time function normally. Rest of the time I just pull out the card, put it back in and I'm good to go.
7. Every once in a while it wipes the card
8. using fresh batteries
9. I checked the contacts - straight.
10. I use your cards and Sandisk - acts the same.

Greg

Top Top

#

Mon Jul 26, 2010 7:44 pm

Doesn't seem to care new batteries or not.

I believe it only occurs when using the right joystick. Haven't kept track of that but I will now.

I'll use the rt js to set the strobes off to see what the lights are doing, check for shadows, etc. I'll start paying better attention to what the circumstances are that trigger the reboot and let you know.

Bill F

Top Top

#

Thu Jul 29, 2010 3:12 pm

Pretty much the same as above.

- metering
- with the card it will black out until batteries or card is pulled.
- I've stopped using the card now and just using basic setups as it keeps flashing the card. Now it boots back up each time without the card
- while shooting every 10-20 shots I'll get a reboot on the CC
- I think it's only the right joystick and when using it as a trigger but will try and track it better
I'ts a great unit when it's working but I have to reset ISO each time it boots. :(

Top Top

#

Thu Jul 29, 2010 3:21 pm

After my last post 1 of my CCs got worse. Every 2 meters it would reboot. @nd CC went through a whole shot (2 hrs) without a single reboot - I was amazed. Next shoot it made up for it. Call customer service and have 2 new CCs on the way.

Top Top

#

Thu Jul 29, 2010 3:31 pm

Site Admin

We are compiling information, and contacting our consultants on this issue. If the problem is persistent after the suggested tips, please contact customer service for warranty assistance.

Top Top

#

Tue Aug 03, 2010 4:42 pm

I have the same problems. I'm on my second CC. I use it with the SD card removed and with lithium batteries. The CC randomly reboots when taking a flash reading with the right hand button. Typically, the reboot turns off all of the Einsteins. Upon reboot, the flash meter setting is reset to ISO 100 (I use it at ISO 200).

Top Top

Website

Post a reply
 [ 82 posts ]