Paul C. Buff, Inc. Technical Forum

Technical Discussion Forum for all Paul C. Buff, Inc. Products

Login

Post a reply
 [ 6 posts ] 

Mon Dec 21, 2009 12:07 pm

When changing the power via the "All" lights setting, I'd like to have the ability to over-ride the default set ratios if one light is asked to go above or below its maximum power setting.

The way I work is I have 8 lights programmed into the CC. But I generally work with fewer lights. I shoot interiors and I change the quantity of lights and their power settings many times a day. So if I only have 3 lights plugged in, I don't want to go to the trouble of making and storing a new setting or group. I'd like to be able to set the power on each of those lights and then control them quickly without additional programming.

As it stands now the power settings of inactive lights may stop me from increasing or decreasing the active ones when using "All."

Top Top

#

Tue Dec 22, 2009 12:56 pm

Site Admin

Hey Alan,
Thanks for the sugestion. I will pass the suggestion up to the designer.

TS

Top Top

#

Wed Dec 23, 2009 12:08 am

Site Admin

I believe you can put the lights you want to use in a group and do a bracket group adjustment instead of ALL. Just tried this from my recliner and it appeared to work OK.

Top Top

#

Wed Dec 23, 2009 11:38 am

First of all, I think the CC system is terrific. I originally bought WL and ABs because of the control that was available via the RR1 system. (And because the ABs are small and light.) Shooting tethered and being able to adjust lights from the camera position is a great time saver, especially when the lights are scattered all over a large space - or outside coming through the windows.

Yes Mr. Buff, I understand I can assign them to groups. And I may do that. I've only had the CC system for a couple of weeks and I am still trying to establish my best workflow with it.

As I move throughout a home or building, and set up various lights many times a day, I simply want to have the quickest way to adjust the power on them. Sometimes I might start out with 5 lights in one room and then only move two of them to the next setup. I might want to quickly lower or raise the power on them without even looking at what channel they are on... let alone take the time to assign them to a group. I might do this 10-20 times in a day.

Perhaps I can establish a number of groups in advance and try to work that way. But I think it would slow me down to keep adding and removing lights to a group throughout the day.

Also, I know that I can turn all of the modeling lamps up and down at once. But it would be great if there was a simple and quick way to toggle all of them between off and full. I don't find that dimmer settings for modeling lamps are too useful for interior photography. During daytime interior shots, the ambient level is fairly high. I mostly need to toggle the modeling lamps on and off a few times to try to see if they are reflecting into anything.

Top Top

#

Thu Dec 24, 2009 4:06 am

Site Admin

AlanG wrote:
First of all, I think the CC system is terrific. I originally bought WL and ABs because of the control that was available via the RR1 system. (And because the ABs are small and light.) Shooting tethered and being able to adjust lights from the camera position is a great time saver, especially when the lights are scattered all over a large space - or outside coming through the windows.

Yes Mr. Buff, I understand I can assign them to groups. And I may do that. I've only had the CC system for a couple of weeks and I am still trying to establish my best workflow with it.

As I move throughout a home or building, and set up various lights many times a day, I simply want to have the quickest way to adjust the power on them. Sometimes I might start out with 5 lights in one room and then only move two of them to the next setup. I might want to quickly lower or raise the power on them without even looking at what channel they are on... let alone take the time to assign them to a group. I might do this 10-20 times in a day.

Perhaps I can establish a number of groups in advance and try to work that way. But I think it would slow me down to keep adding and removing lights to a group throughout the day.

Also, I know that I can turn all of the modeling lamps up and down at once. But it would be great if there was a simple and quick way to toggle all of them between off and full. I don't find that dimmer settings for modeling lamps are too useful for interior photography. During daytime interior shots, the ambient level is fairly high. I mostly need to toggle the modeling lamps on and off a few times to try to see if they are reflecting into anything.

Don't feel bad . . . I don't fully know the best ways to use CC myself, and I designed it. The problem is only so much complexity can be put into a device like this before the whole ergonomics get out of control. Some users already want programmed sequencing and strobe effects and all sort of other features - I have to do the best I can to satisfy the broadest cross section of desired feature and this is darn hard to accomplish out of the gate.

Top Top

#

Sat Dec 26, 2009 1:44 pm

Luap wrote:

Don't feel bad . . . I don't fully know the best ways to use CC myself, and I designed it. The problem is only so much complexity can be put into a device like this before the whole ergonomics get out of control. Some users already want programmed sequencing and strobe effects and all sort of other features - I have to do the best I can to satisfy the broadest cross section of desired feature and this is darn hard to accomplish out of the gate.

Yes indeed. This is type of new product design task is a monumental one that no one else in the industry has even dared to attempt, for sure.

In general, people tend to quickly gobble up technology, take it for granted just as fast, and immediately demand more of it. High tech. lighting products are no exception.

Top Top

Post a reply
 [ 6 posts ]