Paul C. Buff, Inc. Technical Forum

Technical Discussion Forum for all Paul C. Buff, Inc. Products

Login

Post a reply
 [ 6 posts ] 

Fri May 28, 2010 4:27 pm

I've had my AB800 for approx 2 months and other than setting it up over my still life table it hasn't moved much. Yesterday I moved it around the house several times to different locations to take some portraits. Each and every time I moved it I turned it off, unplugged it and then moved it across the room or into the next room. I was not rough in anyway when I moved it but when I turned it back on the modeling lamp would not come back on. To get it to work again I had to unscrew it and then screw the lamp back in, but not too far or it would turn off again. I was not turning it any harder than you would normally screwing in a light bulb. I tried a different bulb, same result. Needless to say I'm a bit frustrated and not sure how to resolve this since it's just a standard bulb socket, how could that be broken?

Thanks

Top Top

#

Sat May 29, 2010 10:30 am

Site Admin

with the light off and unplugged, remove the model lamp and look inside the socket. At the back of the socket, ther should be a brass tab. Pull forward on this tab, reinstall the bulb and try again. Also make sure the white button in the back of the light is pushed in.

Top Top

#

Sat May 29, 2010 10:46 am

Until you mentioned that I had forgotten that I had already done that when I first received the unit. I was reluctant to do it again and the part the confuses me is that there seems to be a sweet spot whereby if I screw the bulb in too far it stops working. It's almost as though the bulb can only be loosely screwed in about half way. I have confirmed the button is pushed in.

Another thing to mention is that one of the times when I was able to get the modeling lamp to work I left it on and when I put my softbox back on it slightly bumped the flash head and the bulb turned off again.

Thanks

Top Top

#

Sat May 29, 2010 11:11 am

Site Admin

Have you tried a different lamp? It's not impossible the bulb itself might be suspect.

Top Top

#

Sat May 29, 2010 1:16 pm

We are an all CF household so after getting a strange look from my neighbor when I asked if I could borrow a light bulb, I was able to test with a standard incandescent and incandescent flood. The standard incandescent did the same thing, when I screwed in more than half way and still loose it worked, anything more than half way it turned off. I switched to the incandescent flood and it worked fine no matter how loose or snug it was screwed in. I'll try and find a straight bulb like came with the AB and see if that works reliably.

Thank you

Top Top

#

Sat May 29, 2010 6:31 pm

Site Admin

You definitely have a bad socket on the Bee. Covered by warranty and, yes, I understand the frustration. I have sockets like this in my house and go through the same exercise. We rarely see this sort of problem in spite of over a half million lights in the field.

Top Top

Post a reply
 [ 6 posts ]