Paul C. Buff, Inc. Technical Forum

Technical Discussion Forum for all Paul C. Buff, Inc. Products

Login

Post a reply
 [ 77 posts ] 

Thu Dec 31, 2009 12:40 pm

The SB Image wrote:
Thank you very much for your answer.

Money is not the issue, I am kinda stuck in my ways and cant see having a receiver dangle from my meter either.

I would gladly spend $75 to make my meter compatible with your system, would such a chip not be legal or something? I dont know a thing about how different companies protect there tech or the legalities of making one product compatible with another so sorry if this is a silly question.

I believe the module is just an antenna, and the control software is in the meter itself.

Top Top

#

Thu Dec 31, 2009 12:52 pm

The plug-in module for the E is essentially a CSR+ designed specifically for the E.
It takes power from the E and all the connections are via the plug interface.

The CSR+ has the telephone cable plug to interface with the analog controls in the ABs and WLs.

None of the Cyber Sync modules will communicate with or be fired by another manufacuturers trigger.

I have nothing to do with PCB but as a customer, but I am confident TS will say the same thing.

Top Top

#

Thu Dec 31, 2009 1:45 pm

Site Admin

I personally do not know what the legalities are, but I assume the interface would be patented.

Our modules are the actual transciever modules, which is substantially more than just an antenna, but does not make any adjustments in and of itself. I do not know what is involved internally with the PW modules.

TS

Top Top

#

Thu Dec 31, 2009 7:09 pm

The SB Image wrote:
I would gladly spend $75 to make my meter compatible with your system, would such a chip not be legal or something? I dont know a thing about how different companies protect there tech or the legalities of making one product compatible with another so sorry if this is a silly question.

Buy a CST. Buy a PC sync cable that connects from the PC sync port of the Sekonic meter to the PC sync cable on the CST (I think it has one...if not, buy a hotshoe adapter w/ a PC sync port for $10). Velcro it to the sekonic and you're all set :D

Top Top

#

Fri Jan 01, 2010 9:29 am

Why not just use the Auto-reset cordless flash mode of the Sekonic flash meter? This is how I use the cybersync with my L-358. I put the L-358 in this mode, depress the measurement button on the L-358 then fire the flash with the cybersync. The L-358 measures each subsequent flash. Piece of cake.

Tim

Top Top

Website

#

Fri Jan 01, 2010 6:55 pm

Jaddie wrote:
stilllearning wrote:
That is fantastic! Besides weddings I also shoot hummingbirds. That 1/10000 sec at 64 w-s has me salivating. That's 8 times more powerful then my SB800 at 1/5000 sec. That means I won't have to have the lights as close.

Dear Gary

That's interesting. I've never thought about using a studio strobe for photographing hummers.

--Jaddie

I wanted to do that until I learned what the t/10 was on studio lights. You just can't freeze the wings. On the other hand, an SB-800 at 1/16 or less power will freeze the wings, but given you need to be at f/11 or so not to have ambient bleed into your shot ... but then you need to get the strobe really close and light everything you want lit ... otherwise you'll look like your shooting at night.

So I too am absolutely salivating at the prospect of the Einstein unit to light the little guys.

Top Top

#

Fri Jan 01, 2010 7:48 pm

Thanks you kenyee and Tim, Those are options but the idea of having another sync cable and a trigger dangling off my meter isn't appealing to me and I find the cordless flash mode annoying. I dont want to sound picky or anything but I use the meter so much its one area I just cant be flexible with.

From what I see the most popular lights seem to be Alien Bee (sports is Elinchrom but can see the Einstein cutting into that market fast), most popular meters are Sekonic, the most popular triggers are overpriced Pocket Wizards... it just seems like an area team Buff could make some money and make it easier to transition to there triggering system.

I would love to use there triggers and receivers and the Cyber Commander seems pretty great but I am not ready to give up my old tried and true method of metering all at once... if my meter would trigger the Cyber Syncs it would make the transition cheap and easy (I could have everything the same way I always did or the option of full Cyber Commander control without needing to keep 8 PW laying around)

Sorry about getting so far off topic

Ray

Top Top

Website

#

Fri Jan 01, 2010 9:17 pm

If you have 8 lights, you don't need 8 Pocket Wizard receivers and 8 Paul Buff receivers. Plug a Pocket Wizard receiver into a CST and trigger it with your Sekonic meter. The CST will then trigger the Paul Buff receivers on the flash units. Use a Cyber Commander to adjust the lights and fire from the camera. Alternatively, use the Pocket Wizard receiver on one light along with a Paul Buff receiver on each light and rely on the photo slaves to trigger the other lights for metering and the CC for adjusting and triggering when shooting. (Of course you could also have a CST on the camera for triggering when you shoot.)

Top Top

#

Sat Jan 02, 2010 9:37 pm

Sounds good, I can go with Buffs trigger/receiver system and use my meter to fire one PW plugged into a CST.

Dont want to hijack this thread anymore than I already have, but the reason I have one PW for each light was that I shoot outside, in warehouses, they are blocked by a large soft box..... (the slave eye has trouble).... and sometimes split them up into multiple sets on different channels when shooting with friends.

regardless of how I end up setting them up I am exited to give them a try, smaller, lighter, faster duration, temperature and basically the same power as my x1600's

AlanG wrote:
If you have 8 lights, you don't need 8 Pocket Wizard receivers and 8 Paul Buff receivers. Plug a Pocket Wizard receiver into a CST and trigger it with your Sekonic meter. The CST will then trigger the Paul Buff receivers on the flash units. Use a Cyber Commander to adjust the lights and fire from the camera. Alternatively, use the Pocket Wizard receiver on one light along with a Paul Buff receiver on each light and rely on the photo slaves to trigger the other lights for metering and the CC for adjusting and triggering when shooting. (Of course you could also have a CST on the camera for triggering when you shoot.)

Top Top

Website

#

Mon Jan 04, 2010 2:31 am

Site Admin

AlanG wrote:

You can't adjust 8 lights from CC without having a CSR/B+ receiver on each light. Sorry.

Top Top

Post a reply
 [ 77 posts ]