Paul C. Buff, Inc. Technical Forum

Technical Discussion Forum for all Paul C. Buff, Inc. Products

Login

Post a reply
 [ 77 posts ] 

Mon Jan 04, 2010 11:34 am

"You can't adjust 8 lights from CC without having a CSR/B+ receiver on each light. Sorry."

I thought that I make it clear in my post that you'd need a receiver on each head?

Top Top

#

Mon Jan 04, 2010 1:34 pm

On a side note I was wondering if the Einstein heads will come with a carrying case like the WL's?

Top Top

Website

#

Mon Jan 04, 2010 3:33 pm

Site Admin

No, Einstein will not automatically ship with a carry bag, though it should fit in the AB bag. Additionally,with all of our new reflectors, there is not a one-style-fits-all reflector, so instead of charging more to include a reflector that may or may not be used, reflectors that suit your needs will be purchased seperately.

TS

Top Top

#

Mon Jan 04, 2010 11:07 pm

I photo moving freight trains at night. Lately it's been 30 below zero. I've been using up to x5 WL X3200, each with their own Vagabond and a CSRB. At first I had no interest in the Einstein lights because usually what I need is raw power. The X3200 units deliver! However I've been thinking. Recycle on X3200 is 4 seconds, meaning I only get off one shot of a train moving about 50 mph. There are times when I could really use a much faster recycle. I'm now really thinking of adding x2 Einstein lights to my mix. I could use them for the situations I want to take more than one shot. I read that recycle from full power is about 1.7 seconds. Would recycle from half power be about 1 second? What is recycle at half power, and quarter power? If this isn't a tech question I don't know what is! Also, I'm assuming these will work just fine at 30 below zero as the WL 3200 do. In the past I've put out x10 Nikon SB-28 flash set to 1/4 power to get fast recycle, which is a pain and doesn't give all that much light either. Trains on a black night soak up a lot of power. At least in winter I have snow on the ground which acts as a superb reflector!

Kent in SD

Top Top

#

Wed Jan 06, 2010 10:34 am

Ok. I can't take the anticipation! Any additional info on the progress of the Einsteins other than what was posted by LUAP just before Christmas? All the issues ironed out etc.?
Regards,
Dom

Top Top

#

Wed Jan 06, 2010 2:52 pm

Site Admin

Two23 wrote:
I photo moving freight trains at night. Lately it's been 30 below zero. I've been using up to x5 WL X3200, each with their own Vagabond and a CSRB. At first I had no interest in the Einstein lights because usually what I need is raw power. The X3200 units deliver! However I've been thinking. Recycle on X3200 is 4 seconds, meaning I only get off one shot of a train moving about 50 mph. There are times when I could really use a much faster recycle. I'm now really thinking of adding x2 Einstein lights to my mix. I could use them for the situations I want to take more than one shot. I read that recycle from full power is about 1.7 seconds. Would recycle from half power be about 1 second? What is recycle at half power, and quarter power? If this isn't a tech question I don't know what is! Also, I'm assuming these will work just fine at 30 below zero as the WL 3200 do. In the past I've put out x10 Nikon SB-28 flash set to 1/4 power to get fast recycle, which is a pain and doesn't give all that much light either. Trains on a black night soak up a lot of power. At least in winter I have snow on the ground which acts as a superb reflector!

Kent in SD

Kent, try PLM Silver. Also, a whole new type of focusable extremely long throw-super efficient reflector is in the works and right around the corner. Working name = Luap Supreme.

You're about right on the recycle times - around .9 seconds on half power and .5 seconds on 1/4 power . . . don't have exact times but will get them.

Top Top

#

Wed Jan 06, 2010 3:21 pm

will the (1/8-inch Dummy Plug) be required or work for disabling the flash sensor/trigger?

any update/guess on the status or ordering of the Einstein lights?

thanks for the info/help

Kevin

Top Top

#

Wed Jan 06, 2010 3:23 pm

Site Admin

the slave eye is able to be turned off via menu option

TS

Top Top

#

Wed Jan 06, 2010 5:22 pm

thanks for the info, 3 little items I won't need, and not have to keep track of.

Thanks,

Top Top

#

Wed Jan 06, 2010 9:13 pm

Paul--

Thanks for the info. I think they'll do what I want them to. And, thank goodness you didn't hire someone from ProFoto etc. to price them out for you! :lol: I have x3 of your new 11LR (11 inch long throw) reflectors and they do throw light futher than my older 11 inchers. You have something even newer coming? I'm interested.

Kent in SD

Top Top

Post a reply
 [ 77 posts ]