Paul C. Buff, Inc. Technical Forum

Technical Discussion Forum for all Paul C. Buff, Inc. Products

Login

Post a reply
 [ 5 posts ] 

Wed Jun 09, 2010 3:14 pm

Hey there all,
I'm LOVING the ringflash but I have an event coming up that I'm going to need to mount it so I can shoot vertically
(non-hand held, the mount is horizontal only).
Anyone else face this issue? & if so any suggestions on the most secure way to do this?
I don't want to do anything precarious, I want to be secure knowing it will hold solid.

Honestly,
I'm personally of the opinion that the majority of people most likely shoot vertically when mounted than not, especially given the style of photography the ringflash is most commonly used for.
Would be great to see an adaptor or an alternative mount made for that!

thanks in advance! :)

Top Top

#

Wed Jun 09, 2010 3:50 pm

Site Admin

Mounted on a ......tripod, lightstand, other? Or is that also part of the question? is the point to have teh camera in a vertical orientation, or does the flash have to be sideways?You can get L Brackets that would then screw into the plate that normally screws onto the camera. This would leave the light vertical (i.e. normal orientation), but the camera would be on edge for portrait orientation. Will you be shooting with a lens that has a collar, like a 70-200? If so, mount the foot to the plate and rotate the camera.

Top Top

#

Wed Jun 09, 2010 4:47 pm

Thanks a lot for the quick response!
I think your L bracket suggestion is a great solution, that way I could use it on any type of stand (be it stand or tripod)
& just adjust the height of the flash itself.

Now I just have to find an affordable yet reliable one that fits my 7D.. hmmm

thanks again for the help!

Top Top

#

Thu Jun 10, 2010 9:08 am

Site Admin

don't forget the bracket will likely need a reciever plate attached to the ringflashes camera platform too. If the bracket accepts 1/4-20, then you will not, but most i have seen require a reciever.

Top Top

#

Sun Jun 13, 2010 3:43 pm

I use an L Bracket with my ABR800.
I have it modified to use quick release between Tripod and ABR as well as ABR and camera and bracket.
http://www.digifotografi.com/Digifotografi/ABR_Quick_Release.html Link showing how I did the mod. The L Bracket is use is the Manfrotto bracket for the quick release.

Top Top

Post a reply
 [ 5 posts ]