Paul C. Buff, Inc. Technical Forum

Technical Discussion Forum for all Paul C. Buff, Inc. Products

Login

Post a reply
 [ 14 posts ] 

Fri Jun 11, 2010 1:36 pm

Before anyone jumps on the spam bandwagon, let me say I know this is the technical forum, but didn't really see any easier option for posting it where so many Alien Bee users would see it. If Paul, Tech Support, of any other PCB stuff thinks this is an inappropriate post, feel free to remove it. I'm not here to spam -- I just wanted to pass this info along in case anyone was interested in watching the class.

Zack Arias is teaching a studio lighting class this weekend with CreativeLIVE in Seattle, WA. He'll be using a number of PCB Alien Bee lights and PCB modifiers (the workshop will feature other lights and modifiers as well; but it looks like the ABs will be his primary lights).

Like all CreativeLIVE classes, the class is being recorded to be sold as a video class like most other video-based education out there -- but the "trick" is you can watch the class during the initial recording for free, and even interact and ask questions during the class using a live chat room and/or twitter.

This class is a full weekend workshop -- all evening Friday, then all day Saturday and all day Sunday (detailed schedule at link below, and at Zack's website above). The initial recordings will be rebroadcast an additional time online (also free) each night after class.

More information and schedule is available on this post on the CL website. You can sign up there, or simply watch using the Live video link. You can access the chat rooms via the chat link, or use your own IRC client.

If any PCB folks have time to check in on chat, I'm sure there will be lots of attendees asking questions about the ABs and modifiers -- might be a great chance to help some folks out and/or drum up some additional business. Feel free to join on the chat rooms.

I'll be in and out during the weekend -- cdricephoto in the chat rooms -- feel free to say hi.

Standard disclaimer -- I'm not affiliated with CreativeTechs/CreativeLIVE, Zack Arias or Paul C. Buff Inc. I'm just an attendee of the workshop myself, and thought others here would like to know about it.

Again, this is not meant as spam on the tech forum -- I thought many folks here would be interested in this workshop and might like to attend. If anyone at PCB feels this is not the appropriate place for this information, feel free to delete this post.

- Chuck

Top Top

Website

#

Fri Jun 11, 2010 11:03 pm

Watched the class today. Zack gave alien bees a really good review.

Top Top

#

Sat Jun 12, 2010 1:47 am

Site Admin

I don't have a problem with this.

Top Top

#

Sat Jun 12, 2010 12:52 pm

Thanks for the reply, Paul!

Day 2 starting right now -- Live shoot with Zack. They've already got all the ABs set up; using several PCB modifiers, and a handful of third party modifiers as well.

Top Top

Website

#

Sun Jun 13, 2010 10:22 am

Day 3 starts soon on the East coast.

I reminded Zack on Twitter that Paul is now in Europe. He was unaware on first day.

Top Top

#

Sun Jun 13, 2010 10:40 am

Zack is doing a fine job..
He's mentioned if he was buying his first set of affordable lights he'd without a doubt go for Alien Bees / Einstein over any other brand of lights..
He's talked about how much he loves the 22 inch Beauty Dish..
He's given people an idea of how easy these lights are to use..
He's also mentioned he doesn't like the build quality and the fact that the lights don't power down enough but pointed people in the direction of the Einstein

Top Top

#

Sun Jun 13, 2010 4:13 pm

glenburnett wrote:
He's also mentioned he doesn't like the build quality and the fact that the lights don't power down enough but pointed people in the direction of the Einstein

The Einstein's low power output is a great advantage here when shooting at f/1.4. I had my 22" Wht. HOBD with 30* grid setup 3-4' from the model and was able to get accurate exposures by adjusting in 1/10 increments, camera at f/1.4, ISO 100. Very nice.

RMS

Top Top

#

Tue Jun 15, 2010 5:18 am

I just wanted to thank all who attended this class -- it was a great success, and there has been a tremendous amount of positive feedback. I'd love to hear any more opinions if you attended or have downloaded the class.

I'd strongly encourage anyone using, or considering purchasing, Alien Bees to consider purchasing the class (now available for purchase and download of the video from the entire weekend). A number of students in the live chat described it as a well-made, weekend-long commercial for Alien Bees. ;) Zack covered several other studio light sources in both discussion and practical application (including various speedlights), but the majority of time, and for 90%+ of the live-shoots Saturday and Sunday, he used various Alien Bee lights and modifiers.

Just a few specific highlights from the class:
- In-depth discussion, with examples of the financial savings on purchasing an initial AB studio vs. other "high-dollar" studio lights.
- Managing realistic expectations using the ABs vs. "high-dollar" studio lights, and dealing with some of the unique quirks and personality of the AB lights.
- Suggested studio configurations - including camera bodies, lenses, lights and modifiers.
- Specific additions to and construction of a home-based or commercial studio space, including free-standing flags, cyc wall / cove, flooring, etc.
- A VERY in-depth review of various modifiers for the ABs, including the 22" high-output beauty dish, various grids and several 3rd party modifiers -- complete with live shoots and detailed example photos with each modifier used various ways.
- Detailed discussion and live shoots using the AB ring flash, including the Moon Unit.
- An incredible number of example photo shoots, using various modifiers and techniques; and the best part is the video feed switches back and forth between the shoot and the actual lightroom viewing/develop screen during the shoot (Zack was shooting tethered) -- so you can see the setup, the execution, and the result, all in real-time.

It was, in my opinion, a fantastic class -- for beginners, intermediate-skill levels, and even expert / full-time professionals.

You can see examples from the sessions on the CreativeLIVE web page.

You can see several final-edit images from the weekend, as well as student comments on Zack's blog.

Thanks again for any feedback!

Top Top

Website

#

Tue Jun 15, 2010 8:44 am

If something is about photography, I'm interested. I still read or view things I know backwards to see how they are explained just out of curiosity.

Despite the live broadcast and replays, I couldn't catch any of the 3rd day and missed most of the 2nd so I went and purchased the download. I think the formula "free live/download pay" is a good one along with the during event discount. It all works well and fair for everyone imo.

The show itself I can't comment on as I am still yet to watch the majority of it. From what I have watched, this is good value for anyone who not only likes Paul C Buff products but studio photography in general.

Thumbs up from me. ;)

Edit: One annoying thing, the pre-purchase method. I purchased by clicking the link on the creativeLive site, registered during the purchase process on the Eventbrite site but this registration doesn't log me in on the creativeLive site. I have no username there and I would like to simply change the email account that creativeLive is sending me the download links for the videos I purchased. I cannot see a way to do this? Not sure who you are cdrice and if you have any answers but thought I'd mention it as the process at least for pre-orders is kinda confusing. After clicking from creativeLive to buy you then go through Eventbrite and when the process is finished you are still seemingly an unknown user to the creativeLive site. Should work in a way better than this imo.

Top Top

#

Tue Jun 15, 2010 10:01 am

Unfortunately, there isn't a way to change the registered user email with CreativeLive currently, Redback. If you don't get the email link with the downloads, you're pretty much OOL unless you contact their customer support.

Top Top

Website

Post a reply
 [ 14 posts ]