Paul C. Buff, Inc. Technical Forum

Technical Discussion Forum for all Paul C. Buff, Inc. Products

Login

Post a reply
 [ 16 posts ] 

Tue Jun 15, 2010 12:23 am

Well, Hopefully within the next few weeks Paul will be filling out the Customs Declaration Forms and shipping a heap of Einsteins "Downunder", with 2 marked, "For attention Alphabug" :D !!

So, What else do I need to order ? I have two existing (E-Bay special) strobes that I'll be keeping, and want all the strobes to play nicely together, realising of course that there isn't remote-power-adjustment on the existing ones......

Triggers......

1 * CyberSync CST Transmitter...........
The main transmitter, will work with CSR and CSR-B(attery) receivers.

1* CyberCommander........
Use hand-held to meter all the lights and remotely adjust the Einsteins

1 * CSR Receiver............
To allow use of the existing strobes when the Einsteins are not out playing and so their built-in optical trigger won't be working from the Einsteins flash

2* CSR-B receivers ....................
To allow the SpeedLights to play outside

2*CSXCV Receivers.............
One for each Einstein

Does that about cover the trigging issues ??

As to modifiers..........

I was thinking

1 * HODB (White or silver ??)
Do I want a grid ?? I've used a friends a couple of times and it seems the grid is just too restrictive, we always seem to take the grid off

1 * 86" PLM Umbrella .......
If they're released in time...

1 * 8.5" H.O Reflector with 30-degree grid

Your thoughts ??

Thanks,

AB.

Top Top

#

Tue Jun 15, 2010 7:11 am

You might consider getting a baby boomer arm to go with the HOBD. I Don't own either yet so I can't really say for sure but I'll be ordering both when my Einstein number comes up.

Top Top

Website

#

Tue Jun 15, 2010 9:21 am

Site Admin

since you will be getting the Cyber Commander, you may want to consider CSR/B+ recievers. this will alllow you to meter and group any light including speedlites. If they are Paul C. Buff lights, then you can adjust the power, too. Also, instead of buying CSR's and CSRB's, you could just go for CSRB's (or CSRB+'s) and use them for any light, studio or speedlite and save some money by not being needlessly redundant.

Top Top

#

Tue Jun 15, 2010 9:36 am

Thanks TS......

I can see the logic in not getting the CSR trigger for studio shooting, With my existing lights I could just as easily use a CSR-B, because if I'm shooting "studio" I won't be needing it outside at the same time !!

I really don't understand the CSR+ & CSRB+ Receivers .............

As I understand it they have the RJ-11 plug that permits them to plug 'n play with Pre-Einstein AB strobes, but for all other strobes (and Speedlights) apart from "just triggering" what will they do for me ?

As I have no AB's, and my PCB products will be Einsteins with CSXCV Receivers, how will the + units differ (for me) from the regular CSR receivers ?

Many thanks,

AB.

Top Top

#

Tue Jun 15, 2010 9:55 am

Alpha, the main difference between the two (other then the AB-compatible rj-11 jack):

-CSRB will trigger only using eitherCST or CC.
*If multiple CSRB's are used they will ALL trigger at once with either CST & CC.

-CSRB+ will Trigger only using CST, while it can Trigger & Meter each receiver independently, all , or in groups using the CC.

That's probably why TS is suggesting you use the CSRB+ instead if you're planning to use a CC with Speedlights. Having both, I'd agree that CSRB+ is a better choice with CC (although a bit bulkier in size)

Top Top

Website

#

Tue Jun 15, 2010 10:05 am

Thanks guys....

I think I'm losing the plot with the phrase "trigger and meter" :oops: !!!

Trigger I can understand...Receive signal from CST / CC and light goes FLASH ....

What does "meter" mean in this context ??

How does it do anything to my Speedlight apart from make it go flash ??

AB (The confused)

Top Top

#

Tue Jun 15, 2010 11:25 am

Site Admin

The Cyber Commander has an integrated flash meter, i.e. tells you what aperture to set your camera to. As long as a light has a + reciever (or CSXCV in the case of Einstein), you can meter the flashes' output. This is not possible with non+ recivers, as the meter button only talks to + receivers. Yes, this function works with speedlites as well as studio lights. The only functionality you lose from non-Buff lights is the ability to control output.

Let's use 2 speedlites each connected to a CSRB+. Same frequency, each has its own unique channel. One light is main (CH1, for example purposes, and set to full power), one is fill (CH2, and is set to 1/2 power). Once all set up proceedures are complete, and you make sure the ISO and shutter speed match between camera and Cyber Commander (like any other flash meter), go to your subject's position and aim the dome back to the camera. Select CH1 on the CC, press the meter button. It tells you your reading for that flash only, say f/11. Select CH2 and meter the same way. The CC tells you the meter reading for that flash, say f/8. Now, since both lights could be illuminating the same area, thier light will add up. so you would go to the "ALL" channel, and repeat the meter reading. This could give you something like f/11.5. This is what you would have to set your camera to achieve proper exposure. If you wish to shoot at f/8, you would then drop both lights by 1.5 stops. since these are speedlites, you would do this at the light, if they were our lights, you could do this from the CC, and by staying the "ALL" channel, shift all lights simultaneously.

Remember, the above scenario assumes no ambient light. If outside on a a sunny day, you should remeter after lowering the flash power to see where the exposure is. With high amounts of ambient light, you will likely need to lower the flash power more.

Top Top

#

Tue Jun 15, 2010 9:26 pm

Thanks TS...I think I'm getting there !!

So, is what you're saying that with the CC and + receivers, I can, from the CC fire each light individually or altogether ?

Step 1.....
Fire light #1

Step 2....
Fire light #2

Step #3....
Fire All lights

Whereas with a regular transmitter it's

Step #1
Fire all lights

Hmm....More to think about !!!!

Thanks,

AB

Top Top

#

Tue Jun 15, 2010 9:36 pm

Site Admin

Pretty much correct. With + version and/or CSXCV and CC you can group, fire or meter lights individually (including speedlights and other flash brands), and with Buff lights, adjust power, modeling, bracket, read flash durations, color power levels, etc. With non + receivers you can't do any of this . . . only fire them all. So if you're going to use CC, using + version is a no brainer.

Top Top

#

Tue Jun 15, 2010 9:59 pm

Thanks Paul, but with the + units I won't actually be able to adjust ANY of my lights, the Brand-X strobes or my Speedlights OR my Buff lights as the only Buff lights I'll have will be Einsteins with CSXCV receivers.....

So thanks TS and Paul for clearing that up, now I need to decide whether the one-light-at-a-time convenience is worth the extra $30 / unit.......

Moving right along :D

Alphabug wrote:

As to modifiers..........

I was thinking

1 * HODB (White or silver ??)
Do I want a grid ?? I've used a friends a couple of times and it seems the grid is just too restrictive, we always seem to take the grid off

1 * 86" PLM Umbrella .......
If they're released in time...

1 * 8.5" H.O Reflector with 30-degree grid

Your thoughts ??

What about modifiers, does my proposed "shopping list" sound like a reasonable setup for both some studio and location work ??

AB.

Top Top

Post a reply
 [ 16 posts ]