Paul C. Buff, Inc. Technical Forum

Technical Discussion Forum for all Paul C. Buff, Inc. Products

Login

Post a reply
 [ 32 posts ] 

Fri Aug 23, 2013 10:54 pm

I think this is on-topic to this thread:
I'll be testing a Phase One 645DF+ with leaf shutter lenses next week. With an IQ back the camera can sync to 1/1600th of a second. Wirelessly it could also fire certain strobes as long as low latency transceivers are used. The Profoto Air triggers and Elinchrom Skyport are both said to work well. PocketWizard not.

My question is would a Cybersync on the E640 Einstein work at 1/1600th? (cybersync transceiver in the Einstein, Cybersync trigger transmitter in the Phase One hotshoe).

Top Top

Website

#

Sat Aug 24, 2013 8:39 am

Site Admin

CyberSync can trigger at up to 1/2500, if the camera does not introduce any limits. I see no reason the CyberSync system cannot achieve 1/1600 on a leaf shutter.

Top Top

#

Mon Aug 26, 2013 4:48 pm

Site Admin

I have personally tested Einstein™ with Fuji SX1 cameras and CyberSync™ right up to the camera's max sync speed of 1/4000 Second. At 80WS, there is no loss of exposure as compared to lower shutter speeds. At higher Einstein Power settings, there begins to to be a reduction of exposure as compared with low shutter speeds . . . but never any black bars even at 640WS.

For a 1/1600 sec leaf shutter, you should expect full unreduced exposure with Einstein™ set at 320WS. If hard wired instead of Cybersync, slightly more power can be obtained from the Einstein™.

Important is the fact that at any setting, with a leaf shutter, you will never get the "slanted wheels" effect always present with sliding shutter DSLRs at high speeds, and never see any DLSR style Black Bars.

Top Top

#

Fri Apr 25, 2014 1:04 pm

Using a Phase DF camera, IQ180 MFDB, and Phase Schneider Leaf shutter lenses, the Cybersync does work well with the Einstein using the installed transceivers up to the listed 1/1600th. Flash duration can be more of an issue at full power at the highest flash sync speed, but more often than not I'm shooting a bit slower.

This is the least expensive wireless triggering option for fast flash sync with the Phase DF, although you are limited to using the Einstein strobes.

I'd love to see a more powerful Einstein....

Ken :)

Top Top

#

Sat Oct 24, 2015 12:01 pm

I have searched the forums and cannot find any information on my question: If I want to use High Speed Sync with Alien Bee 800s can I use the sync cord to achieve shutter speeds faster than 1/250th? I know that my Cybersync triggers and receivers cannot communicate above 1/160th or so with my Nikon camera bodies, but will it be possible with a sync cord?

Top Top

#

Mon Oct 26, 2015 9:28 am

Site Admin

While a sync cord removes the latency introduced by radio, the problem isn't a speed issue. The issue is anything faster than your x-sync speed (which I would have figured to be 1/250 with Nikon), there will be a portion of your image sensor covered by your shutter. This is as true with a PC cord as it is with CyberSyncs

There are some remotes on the market (and you may be able to use the PC port in a speedlite and use a sync cord) that can trigger the light early, and use the slow burn of an AlienBee to burn throughout the exposure time. Success depends on your expectation and needs, and will vary based on camera and flash settings.

Top Top

#

Mon Oct 26, 2015 10:10 am

I was told in another forum that it is the software in the Pocket Wizards and other remotes that allows the camera to use High Speed Sync, so that makes sense why the sync cord will not work. I could not figure it out when I see that others are using Alien Bees and getting shutter speeds in the 1/1000ths. Do you know if there are any plans for Paul C Buff to improve your Cybersync remote system to allow the same?
I think that I cannot get 1/200th or 1/250th with Cybersyncs and my Nikon speedlights due to a delay with the remote system. Occasionally I can get 1/200th but it is not consistent enough for me to want to rely on it. I suppose I could frame my subjects wide to allow for the black band though.

Thanks for your reply.

Top Top

#

Mon Oct 26, 2015 10:21 am

Site Admin

Since triggering in such a manner requires programming to communicate to each camera model (not just make), I do not expect us to release such remotes.

Top Top

#

Tue Mar 08, 2016 12:03 pm

What is the sync speed of the new CyberSync™ Trigger Transmitter 2?

Top Top

#

Tue Mar 08, 2016 1:45 pm

Site Admin

There is no change in signal latency, so it will sync at your camera's native x-sync speed (typically 1/160 to 1/250, but this can vary by camera).

Top Top

Post a reply
 [ 32 posts ]