Paul C. Buff, Inc. Technical Forum

Technical Discussion Forum for all Paul C. Buff, Inc. Products

Login

Post a reply
 [ 2 posts ] 

Sun Mar 26, 2017 3:33 pm

I'm confused about compatibility of the hot shoe adapter with Sony alpha a6300 and a6500 cameras. The a6300 has some metal electronics connection bits at the very front of the camera's hot seat receptacle. It appears that the HSA will physically fit into the receptacle, but I don't think it will make a usable connection with those electronics bits at the front of the seat. Will this make any difference in using the HSA?

I want the flash command from the camera to trigger AlienBees that are connected via cable to the HSA.

The note on the Hot Shoe Adapter catalogue page says "This hot shoe adapter fits cameras with standard ISO hot shoes - the common hot shoe found on most cameras. This adapter will NOT, however, fit on Sony/Minolta cameras."
http://paulcbuff.com/hsa.php

Sony has changed their multi-interface connector. So does this note still apply to the a6300 and a6500, specifically?

Top Top

#

Mon Mar 27, 2017 9:07 am

Site Admin

The current model Sonys can use the HSA. Yes, there are contacts in the front of the shoe that transmit TTL information (as well as audio and video information, hence the name "Multi Interface" or MI, for short).

The hotshoe also has a metal rim and one center contact that conforms to the ISO standard (at least enough to use ISO footed products). This allows for the basic triggering signal.

Since the introduction of the MI hotshoe, we have tried to change the disclaimer to "some older" Sony/Minolta cameras, and we have missed this one. I will make the request to have this updated.

It must be noted, however, the SLFA adapter for the speedlights will not fit to the bottom of the MI footed flashes. The foot of these flashes has "toes" to reach the contacts on the leading edge. This pushes the foot too far back in the hotshoe.

Top Top

Post a reply
 [ 2 posts ]