Paul C. Buff, Inc. Technical Forum

Technical Discussion Forum for all Paul C. Buff, Inc. Products

Login

Post a reply
 [ 10 posts ] 

Sat Jun 19, 2010 12:11 am

I just got my new commander and recevers. I got them working some what. The biggest problem i am having is misfires. At times it was 2 out of 3 not firing. If this is how it will always be I cant live with this. What could I be doing wrong. Also is there a better manual than the one that comes with it? It seams as if there are a lot of holes in it.

Top Top

#

Sat Jun 19, 2010 9:20 am

Site Admin

At what range are you using them? Also, make sure all frequencies are set the same, and each light has a unique channel. Be sure you are going through the "OPEN MEMORY">"OPEN FROM STUDIO" steps. (steps 3 & 4 on page 9). These steps are the most often overlooked, but the most important ones. Once this has been done, be sure to specify the lights, otherwise the commander does not know what it is talking to.

Top Top

#

Sat Jun 19, 2010 10:34 am

So far so good. Only a few no fires. Didn't do anything differnt. Just turned it on an started shooting. The strobe are on either side and behind me about 20 feet. I don't get the meter it tells me one light is f32 and the other is f8. Each light is at full power on different subjects at different distancess the f32 is almost 100 feet from target the other is about 40.

Top Top

#

Sat Jun 19, 2010 1:45 pm

Site Admin

Are you placing the CC at the subject with the white dome facing the camera when taking meter readings? This must be done. f32 is impossible at 100'

Also, see the below:

We have had sporadic reports of very poor range from Cyber Commander in spite of extensive successful initial testing prior to and during production. This also turned out to be a mistake in drafting on the part of Technology Kitchen, where the FCC-required metal EMI shielding can was not insulated properly from the antenna exit point. As a result, even though CCs are completely tested by our staff before shipping, the can has come in contact with the antenna connection after the vibration and heat/cooling expansion in transit to customers. The result to some customers has been a shockingly low 10' or so CC range instead of the 150'+ design capability. This problem has been corrected on current production units. Contact customer service for replacement if you are having this sort of range issue.

As is always our policy, replacement units will be provided for both Einstein and Cyber Commander if either of these problems are encountered.

Top Top

#

Sat Jun 19, 2010 9:33 pm

I was standing at the subject facing back to the camera position. I will wait to send it back for right now I need to use it more. Just to find out how much is user error. Plus there seems to be a lot of functions on the CC that are not in the manual like what is the part about constant color or action. Truthfully I have more questions than you most likly can help me with. are there any manuals that desccribe things in better detail than the one that came with it?

Top Top

#

Sat Jun 19, 2010 10:50 pm

Site Admin

Depends on the lights used. If Einsteins, the Color mode is described in the light's manual. For lights using CSR+ and CSRB+ (Alien Bees, White Lightning), there is no effect as the lights do not incorporate this function (page 10, step 5). The same holds true for "Slave eye" and "Recycle indicator".

Top Top

#

Sat Jun 19, 2010 10:58 pm

ok One questiion answered. I have AB's.

Top Top

#

Sat Jun 19, 2010 11:17 pm

Site Admin

Are you sure the CC meter is set to the ISO and shutter speed you are using? These settings are in the Advanced Features Menu >Flashmeter.

Top Top

#

Sun Jun 20, 2010 9:48 am

Yep got all my setting right. Yesterday out of 1200 shots only 3 misfires. Today 50 shots so far 5 misfires. We will keep playin with it.

Top Top

#

Sun Jun 20, 2010 3:50 pm

Site Admin

Sorry for all the trouble . . . unexplained xxxx happens!

Top Top

Post a reply
 [ 10 posts ]