Paul C. Buff, Inc. Technical Forum

Technical Discussion Forum for all Paul C. Buff, Inc. Products

Login

Post a reply
 [ 3 posts ] 

Tue Dec 22, 2009 6:57 pm

I know this would not be 'recommended' by anyone but just curious if the AC power cables supplied for AB/WL strobes would technically be fine if they were in a puddle or snow on the ground for an outdoor shoot?

Top Top

Website

#

Tue Dec 22, 2009 11:50 pm

Site Admin

UL approved cables (ours are) are waterproof. But it's still not the greatest thing to do - a nick or worn cable can eliminate the waterproof status. Not really a big issue if the cables are in good condition. Even if there were a cable fault it wouldn't present a safety hazard as long as you are using a correct three prong outlet.

Top Top

#

Sat Dec 26, 2009 1:12 pm

What he said. AND, they should be plugged into a GFCI protected outlet. This will trip the outlet in the event that any current in the ground prong is detected (usually indicating that someone is in contact with the AC voltage, or that it is shorted, by water, or some other conductive source). I believe the Vegabond's have GFCI outlets on them, and most recent generators will have them as well.

As someone that is a Christmas light enthusiast, I would also mention, that it would be a good idea to elevate the plug side of the cable, to keep it out of water, otherwise, you will just keep tripping the GFCI. It's not really a good idea to try and seal the plugs either, because any little moisture that gets in, will cause problems.

Top Top

Post a reply
 [ 3 posts ]