Paul C. Buff, Inc. Technical Forum

Technical Discussion Forum for all Paul C. Buff, Inc. Products

Login

Post a reply
 [ 5 posts ] 

Thu Jun 24, 2010 11:51 am

Einstein issue @ low power.

Issue - last night using a CC and Einstein @ the lowest power setting the following situation occurred and was very frustrating - any opinions?

Using Model and beep indicators on the Einstein.
Test fire on back of Einstein @ lowest power setting would light flash 100% w/ beep and model dim to indicate refresh.

Using CC with either test fire or meter read mode the model light would dim and beep would occur, but NO flash. Unit would "pop", but NO light emited 0 of 10 tests

Using CC and raising power 1.5 stops, CC test fire or meter mode, light would fire 5 of 10 tests.

Using CC and raising power to 2 stops, CC test fire or meter mode, light would fire 10 of 10 tests.

This occured using both CST or CC. However the test button on the back of the Einstein operated 100% at any power level.

Uggh - this stopped the shoot and I had to use a backup AB400 which was OK because of the limited light needed.

Top Top

#

Thu Jun 24, 2010 2:13 pm

Site Admin

Did you go through the open memory> open from studio proceedure? If not, do so and see if that helps. If so, did you spec the light to anything other than Einstein? Since the Cyber Commander automatically specifies the lights, there is no need to spec them in the Cyber Commander, as well, there is not option of Einstien to be specified. If another type of light is specified in lieu of Einstein, funny things can happen.

Top Top

#

Thu Jun 24, 2010 7:45 pm

Yes - the light was added from the studio command and the name is not abbreviated on the menu. I believe that has been an issue if the "open" command doesn't work right.

My issue was not with the power control acting funny, but that the light would not flash using the cst or cc.

When triggered, the modeling lamp would dim, cycle and ready tone would beep. Raise the light 2f stops from lowest and it would trigger fine.

Top Top

#

Thu Jun 24, 2010 11:26 pm

I had a similar issue, and I think it was related to temperature. Next time go to the diagnostics screen and check the temperature readings. Mine was about 67 degrees. Once I turned off the modelling lamp and let it cool down, it was fine. I'm not sure if your issue is related, but it sounded kind of similar to what I experienced.

Top Top

#

Fri Jun 25, 2010 9:10 am

Site Admin

The over heat shutdown will exhibit the same characteristics, however, by raising teh flash power, it would increase the problem, not make it go away, so I do not think it is heat related.

It does sound like an issue in the flash head itself. Strange, though, it works as expected from the test button. Contact CS to arrange an exchange.

Top Top

Post a reply
 [ 5 posts ]