Paul C. Buff, Inc. Technical Forum

Technical Discussion Forum for all Paul C. Buff, Inc. Products

Login

Post a reply
 [ 4 posts ] 

Sat Jul 03, 2010 7:00 am

Can Cyber Commander meter non-Buff lights that are not using cybersync triggers? For example, can it provide flash meter readings for Canon speed lights using Radio Poppers?

I am buying Einsteins, CSXCV triggers and a Cyber Commander for studio work, but will use RadioPopper JrX Studio triggers for speed lights in the field (so I can manually adjust my speedlight power levels remotely...I wish your triggers would do this...hint, hint). I am hoping the CC will do double duty so I don't have to invest in a separate Sekonic L358 when I want to travel light and just use speedlights off site.

Also, will the CC meter ambient light?

Thanks, Lou

Top Top

#

Sun Jul 04, 2010 2:56 pm

There's several ways you could get this to work. the CC can meter just about anything but it will have to be sync'ed somehow, whether via cable to the radio popper or directly to camera's ports, optical trigger, speedlight slave mode or whatever. It doesn't have a 'wait-for-flash' function like the sekonics, but again, if you can sync it, it will meter any source, including ambient ( you can set ambient as a separate channel and meter it that way). It does not provide flash/ambient ratios, tho.

Top Top

Website

#

Sun Jul 04, 2010 4:32 pm

Site Admin

CC's meter button only triggers CSR plus, CSRB plus, and CSXCV modules set to the same freq and channel. Any light source that is illuminating at the same time will add to the meter reading. That includes ambient, constant, slaved, and direct trigger light sources. Any continuous light source (hot lights, sunlight, etc) would not need a reciver, as they are not actually being triggered. Any flash source would need at least one reciver to trigger the light at the right time, and all other flashes can slave.

If not using a plus reciever, then Cyber Commander would not be reccommended for use as a flash meter. A polaris or Sekonic 338(?) Would provide similar results in mtering function, but be more tuned to that specific use. Meters like a Sekonic 358 would provide more function like ambient to flash ratio.

Top Top

#

Sun Jul 04, 2010 6:40 pm

Thank you for your responses. They definitely answered my question.

Something to think about.... I bought the RadioPopper JrX Studio transmitter and a few of their receivers so I could control my Canon (and Canon compatible) Speedlight outputs remotely from their transmitter. I would have much preferred to buy your CSRB+ units for this function, but they only trigger non-Buff lights....they won't allow me to adjust the output from the transmitter. The CC will control flash power for your lights remotely, but nothing else. I'd have gladly bought a few extra CSRB+ receivers so I could have all Paul Buff equipment, and it would have worked with your Cyber Commander. I'll bet I am not alone. I also know that others would love to use the CC as a meter with their other lights (from other forums). How about a waiting mode like with the Sekonic?

So, if I want the ability to remotely control the power of my Canon or Nikon compatible speed lights and meter them, I need either PW or RadioPopper units and a separate Sekonic flash meter. Sounds like an opportunity to me.

I appreciate the great responses.

Regards, Lou

Top Top

Post a reply
 [ 4 posts ]