Paul C. Buff, Inc. Technical Forum

Technical Discussion Forum for all Paul C. Buff, Inc. Products

Login

Post a reply
 [ 5 posts ] 

Wed Dec 23, 2009 6:02 pm

I bought my son the b1600 for his nikon d90 but the sync cord doesnt match up to the camera. I guess I need a hot shoe adapter, is that the only thing i need to make the unit synced? or do I need another cord?
thanks

Top Top

#

Wed Dec 23, 2009 9:08 pm

Thats all you need because the D90 has no sync port, although going wireless is a much better safer option.

http://www.alienbees.com/remotes.html

samxfrederick wrote:
I bought my son the b1600 for his nikon d90 but the sync cord doesnt match up to the camera. I guess I need a hot shoe adapter, is that the only thing i need to make the unit synced? or do I need another cord?
thanks

Top Top

Website

#

Thu Dec 24, 2009 3:42 am

Site Admin

The standard camera "pc" sync connector is one of the world's most unreliable connections ever devised.

Top Top

#

Thu Dec 24, 2009 6:24 pm

now if i were to buy the wired remote, i wouldnt need a hot shoe adapter right?

Top Top

#

Thu Dec 24, 2009 8:33 pm

It would be the same thing but now you would need the adapter to get the camera to communicate with the remote..... then the wired remote uses phone cord to to communicate with the strobe.

You need the adaptor so you can use the included sync cord or a wireless remote set (one mounts on your cameras hot shoe and one on the strobe) even if you went for the wireless set picking up the adapter is not a bad idea just incase you find yourself with dead batteries in your remotes or manage to break one.

OT but worth keeping in mind, the wired remote is nice to have when using more than one light and one or more of them are hidden or up high where you cant reach the back panel controls.

Top Top

Website

Post a reply
 [ 5 posts ]