Paul C. Buff, Inc. Technical Forum

Technical Discussion Forum for all Paul C. Buff, Inc. Products

Login

Post a reply
 [ 2 posts ] 

Wed Jul 14, 2010 9:38 am

Have a question. I have 4 Einsteins and the Radio Popper PX system should arrive today. I purchased the RP to fire my 4 SB-900s in High Speed Sync for outdoor sports in bright sun light. Can I use the RP system to fire the Einsteins also? I have the cyber commander but it is limited to 1/250. Would like to use my vagabond, laser modifier and einsteins for sports if possible but need to get at least 1/750 (and sometimes much faster) for the look I want. I will be using my Nikon D3S.

Thanks.

Top Top

#

Wed Jul 14, 2010 10:03 am

Site Admin

No. Currently, no studio light offers true HSS ability. The reasons for this is the flash fires multiple times so fast, it appears to the eye as one flash. This can only be done with cameras and flashes that can communicate to each other, which studio strobes cannot talk to cameras. Only dedicated speedlites can do that. Sometimes, remote manufacturers will offer a "Hypersyncing" ability. This will fire the flash a little early and rely on the longish flash durations to open and close the shutter, during the flash's burn time. This can work OK at times, at other times, not so much. If using an Einstein, you would want the flash at its fullest, to get the longest flash duration. This method also eats up a great deal of light (as does true HSS), so full power is helpful in that regard as well.

Top Top

Post a reply
 [ 2 posts ]