Paul C. Buff, Inc. Technical Forum

Technical Discussion Forum for all Paul C. Buff, Inc. Products

Login

Post a reply
 [ 4 posts ] 

Mon Jul 19, 2010 1:49 am

When my Einstein is working, it works great. But on my last two photoshoots, I've had the same problem: it stops firing, and I have to wait awhile before it will fire again.

The first time, I was shooting outside, with the Einstein plugged into a vagabond. After a few minutes of shooting, it would stop firing (I even tried pressing the test button on the back, and it wouldn't work). After a few minutes of waiting, it would work normally again, but then the problem would repeat myself.

Today, I was shooting indoors, with it plugged into a wall outlet. I was shooting at relatively low power, but still had the same problem.

The only thing I can guess is that the unit is overheating and needs to cool down? Is there any solution except to shoot a lot slower (not that I am shooting particularly fast) and take "breaks?"

Top Top

#

Mon Jul 19, 2010 9:29 am

Site Admin

It does sound like an over heat shutdown. What modifier were you using, and how bright was your modeling light set?

Top Top

#

Mon Jul 19, 2010 1:41 pm

Thank you for the reply!

Both times, I was using a white beauty dish (the older version, not the HOBD). The first time, I was not using the modeling light - I was shooting outside and running the light off of a Vagabond, so turned it off. The second time, I did have the modeling light on, but had it on the tracking setting, and can't remember the exact power, although I was shooting at about F8 in the studio (relatively low - the light was placed very close/above the model on a boom).

Top Top

#

Mon Jul 19, 2010 2:03 pm

Site Admin

Ok, there has been a FW update to increase the temp at which the light shuts down. If you are not using FW 22, then you can download it and install it. HOWEVER, it seems that firmware will allow the light to get very hot, particularly with bright model lamps, rapid firing, or restrictive modifiers. So you will need to be careful if you do go that route.

That being said, we are redesigning the cooling system (among other things) on the Einstein, and expect to implement them in late Aug (give or take). You will qualify for a free upgrade at that time.

Top Top

Post a reply
 [ 4 posts ]